|68| One Last Goodbye

(Your POV)

"Happy birthday," Yanagisawa emerged from the shadows.

Everyone was frozen in place, eyes wide and muscles tensed as you stared at what was left of the cake.

"Let me give you the gift of the world's cruelest death."

The man dressed in white smiled creepily as he slowly approached you. Another figure suddenly emerged from the shadows. Or perhaps it had already been there. You couldn't tell, for they were dressed in all black. Head to toe. No other feature visible. The figure slowly began unzipping their covering, revealing two glowing, yellow orbs.

"Sensei, you know who I am right?" It spoke with a distorted voice.

"Why don't I reintroduce him to your students too?" Yanagisawa gestured at the figure. "He's the man who stole the name 'The Reaper' from the octopus." A cold sweat ran down your spine, your breathing hitching as those nightmarish yellow eyes made contact with yours. "And as of today-" the figure suddenly burst from their restraints and morphed into a monster, straight from your nightmares – "he will be your new Koro-sensei."

A strangled cry got stuck on your throat, that horrific monster making your body tremble as you took a step back, unconsciously hiding behind Karma.

The Reaper was of considerable stature with pitch black skin and tentacles for legs. He also had tentacles coming out of his head, like snakes for hair. But the most terrifying part was his face. It was just like you remembered it. Skin peeled off leaving only the muscle hanging from the skeleton.

"He's just had the same modifications as that monster," Yanagisawa explained casually. "The only difference is that he begged for them. Completely unlike that botched Itona or my little sister over there Can you even imagine? A man who overpowered you single handedly even as a human now has both incomparable strength and hatred. The destructive power!"

Without warning, the creature lunged at Koro-sensei with a ferocious scream.

"Run!" Your teacher yelled as he shielded himself as best as he could.

The collision was so strong it sent out a gust of wind that propelled you backwards and rolled you over. You groaned, head spinning like crazy as you tried to stand up, legs wobbling a little bit.

"A sonic boom." You managed to hear Yanagisawa's voice despite the ringing in your ears. "His tentacles can reach a top speed of Mach 40."

"M-Mach 40?" Okajima stammered.

"In short, his basic performance is doubled." Yanagisawa smirked proudly. "2.0's superhuman kinetic vision and intuition are amplified via his tentacles, making him readily adaptable to a supersonic world. Unlike some amateur children-" he looked at Kayano and Itona with disgust – "he took to his tentacles readily."

You could barely concentrate on what the man was saying, too horrified at the fight that was taking place just behind him. Koro-sensei was barely keeping up with the Reaper. He failed to dodge every single one of the monster's supersonic attacks and the sight of your beloved teacher being thrown into the air like a ragdoll had your whole world stopping.

"The greatest difference is that those tentacles were designed with continuous operation in mind." Yanagisawa's voice bore a dangerous thirst of revenge for Koro-sensei. "You see, he needs no upkeep. He's disposable. In exchange for only three more months of life, I've made it so he can tap into this tremendous energy and there's not even any danger of him exploding at death!"

His laugh made you shudder. The way he talked about death, the way he was so ready to use and get rid of people with no such thing as a second thought. This was the monster you were facing.