Season 1 Chapter 4: "Vatos"

Jason's POV

I just got done telling Daryl about Merle leaving Atlanta and was now sitting near the firepit with Sophia who had a bunch of flowers with her. Why? She wanted to teach me how to make a flower crown which I found pretty adorable.

Sophia is almost like a little sister to me and she reminds me a lot of Barbara when I was younger.

I was trying my best to make the flower crown but it kept falling apart.

'Ugh, why is this so DIFFICULT!'

Sophia must have noticed my struggle so she decided to help.

Sophia: "You have to put a small hole in the stems and thread another stem through the hole. That's how you get the crown started at the bottom."

"Next time, I'm going to teach you something of my own, okay?"

Sophia: "Like what?"

I thought to myself for a second. Sophia is still a little girl so I'm not sure teaching her how to shoot a gun will be something for her. At least not yet.

That's when I had an idea.

"How about I teach you how to fix parts of a car?"

Sophia: "My dad told me I shouldn't learn stuff like that. He tells me I should learn to cook and do laundry."

"Yeah, well your dad's a dirtbag. Don't listen to him. Only listen to your mother, okay."

Sophia nodded with a smile.

Sophia: "Okay."

I then noticed Sophia's mother, Carol, walk over.

Carol: "Sweetie, why don't you go play with Carl?"

Sophia: "Okay, mama."

Sophia then got up and left to go play with Lori and Rick's son before I watched Carol sit down.

Carol: "I appreciate what you're doing for Sophia. Honestly, I haven't seen her smile in so long. It's almost nostalgic."

"I'm just doing what I think is right. Your husband is an asshole and deserved what I did to him."

Carol was silent so I looked to her in my peripheral to see her looking at Ed who was across the camp smoking a cigarette.

"Why do you put up with him?"

Carol looked at me in confusion.

Carol: "What do you mean?"

"I'm not stupid, Carol. I've seen your bruises. And from your hairstyle, I can only assume that's because you're either afraid of him grabbing your hair or he forced you to cut it extremely short."