𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟏: 𝐞𝐦𝐦𝐲

TW: so i'm not writing anything specific because of spoilers, but this is IMPORTANT: if you would like trigger warnings then PLEASE message me privately before reading, and i will give you an idea of what topics to expect- i don't want anyone to r...

TW: so i'm not writing anything specific because of spoilers, but this is IMPORTANT: if you would like trigger warnings then PLEASE message me privately before reading, and i will give you an idea of what topics to expect- i don't want anyone to read this chapter if they think something which is discussed will be upsetting to them.

Hotch's POV

There was no kind of emotion to portray what I felt at this moment, sitting helplessly in the hospital waiting room. The team hovered in silence; the atmosphere painted with a cloud of panic at every passing minute with no news. They had taken Emmy immediately from us, the doctors said nothing as they moved her from the stretcher and into the hospital bed. Ada followed them, not listening to any instruction that they gave her to leave, she just clawed at every small twitch and sign of life that Emmy made- which were few and far between.

I don't know where they went, that's why I felt so helpless. Maybe if Ada was here beside me, I could say something comforting, or just hold her, but even then, I'm not sure that would help. I try to stop my leg from shaking, to hold it still just like how Ada held Emmy's trembling body earlier. But that hadn't worked, just like how my attempts weren't working now.

It had been an hour, an hour of waiting. I wanted something, anything, some kind of news that stopped the incessant voice inside of me saying that I could have done more to help her, that I should have done more. I suppose I should be careful what I wish for.

"Agent Dawson, wait, Agent Dawson!" I stand up and turn around quickly when I hear the doctor call her name. I'm barely quick enough to see Ada slam through the double doors behind us, the doctor standing breathlessly at the end of the corridor.

"What's going on?" I ask immediately, having to use every strength inside of me not to run after Ada.

She lets out a heavy breath, "Agent Hotchner, would you like to speak with me in my office?"

"No, I would not," I reply, "I want to know now."

The doctor sighs, looking behind me and to where the team now congregates, then back to where I stand, "Miss Emmy Dawson suffered from an intracranial hepatoma, which is a collection of blood within the skull- a brain bleed. It is often caused by blood vessels bursting in the brain, or in her case, due to head trauma."

My breath is heavy in my ears as I take in the information, "What does that mean?"

"The blood is collecting in the brain tissue, and beneath the skull, pressing on the brain." She explains, "That's what caused the seizures, although that was only a symptom of the hepatoma, not an impact. The consequence itself is much graver news I'm afraid."

"Graver news?" I ask, shaking my head, "Meaning what?"

She purses her lips, looking straight at me, "It means that there is nothing we can do."