Part 10

Thanks to all for voting and commenting on the previous part.

"I love you so much. You must believe me."
"I believe you," she said softly, "because in your eyes, I see what I feel in my heart."

- How to marry a marquis by Julia Quinn

Omkara walks towards Gauri the next day as she prepared breakfast. He sits on the chair near the counter and watches her cook. He knew she was aware he was there. He had noticed her tense up when he had pulled up the chair but she didn't turn back to look at him. It hurt to see her indifference but he was happy that she was going away from him. She deserved a happy life and that is possible only if she goes away from him. Just because he loved her that didn't give him any right to drag her with him to an unhappy life. It's been 7 years and he still couldn't make peace with the reality that he can never have children and now, it killed him that he couldn't give her a baby. Omkara swallows the sob that was threatening to break out of him. Making up his mind he takes a deep breath. "Gauri."

Gauri turns to look at him curiously, they rarely talked now.

"Come here."

Gauri walks to the counter and resting her hand on the counter top she curiously looks at him.

"Do you want to go?"

Gauri hesitantly nods her head as fear gripped her heart and she forgets to breath.

"You can go, Gauri but before that spend this day with me. At the end of the day, you can go anywhere you want. I'll not stop you."

"Spend the day with you?" Gauri asks him, trying to fight her tears, she had been waiting to go and now that it is near, her heart was breaking again.

Omkara takes her hand in his. "You have given me a lot of beautiful memories, Gauri. But the last few days... I don't want us to part with bad memories. Just for today, please be that old Gauri." Omkara tells her earnestly looking her in the eyes.

Gauri gulps hearing him, in all the heart breaks they did have some beautiful memories together. He catching her when she fell down while putting up the curtains, their day out together, breakfast in bed, she disturbing him while he worked, their kisses, when they talked at night in bed, their love making, when he got her pad, when he took care of her while she was sick, their mad passionate love making, then the most beautiful of all, every night he coming back to her. She had lots of beautiful memories of him and she knew once she leaves him that is all that is going to stay with her, not the bad ones. Adding more beautiful memories to that will make life easier. She will be with him today and she is going to live with him today.

"Gauri?"

Gauri looks at him and then gently smiles at him. Seeing her smile at him after a long time, overcome with emotions, he leans up and takes her lips in his and starts kissing her.

Gauri turns to look at Omkara in bed. He was watching her, he gently cups her face and kisses her softly on her lips. Then he hugs her tight.

Something has changed! Her mind screamed at her. Everything has changed. When they made love today, in spite of being celibate for the last few weeks, it was gentle and slow unlike their usual frantic and urgent love making. He had been so slow and passionate as if he was savoring the experience. What had happened?

"I am sorry, Gauri."

"What?" Gauri looks at him in shock.

"I am sorry for everything that you had to go through because of me." Omkara tells her. "For every single thing. I was just trying to protect you, Gauri."