4̷̮̀1̸͙͝.̴̹̄ ̵̻̍Ḫ̸͊ǎ̵̰ĺ̷̪l̴̪͋u̷̙̚c̷͖͋ḭ̴̍n̸̮͊a̴̠̅t̸̝͂ȅ̷͚ ̷̻̔.̴̲̈4̶̝̈1̸͔̍

"It's time to go to bed, Dear."

A young, five-year-old boy looked up from his toys, pouting at his mother. "No! Papa said I could stay up as late as I want tonight!"

The woman turned to glare at her husband's hunched form on the couch. He was shrinking into himself with fear. "Gregory Bard, you get over here right now and fix this!"

"But Honey..."

"Now!"

Gregory reluctantly approached his wife, staring at her with pleading eyes like a scolded puppy. "He wouldn't stop crying, though! You know how he gets when he wants something..."

"Gregory."

His eyes widened. "Yes, Ma'am."

Gregory turned uncomfortably to his son, flinching at the tears that were already gathering in his eyes.

"Papa?"

"See, son...uh, you need to go to bed now. It's very late... and your mother and I..." Gregory sent an uncomfortable look to his wife, who urged him onward with a stern one of her own. "...your mother..." a pause "will take you out to get ice cream tomorrow if you go to bed right now!"

"Yay!" The boy giggled, running to his room.

The atmosphere was dark and foreboding.

"Amber... Darling, I--"

"You better fucking run."

And run he did.

___

"Mama, Mama! Look at this!"

Amber smiled at her son as he showed her a family portrait that he'd made in school. "It's lovely, Dear."

"And the baby is gonna go right here when the storks bring her! Right Mama?" The boy was now pointing at an empty space he had left in the middle of the family, next to him.

Amber nodded enthusiastically. "Of course! Little Cara will be arriving any day now."

"I'm gonna be the best big brother ever!" The boy exclaimed, running into the living room to show off the picture to his father.

When the boy was out of sight, the smile on Amber's face dropped.

"Yes... you will."

___

The doorbell was ringing.

Ding dong

Amber froze.

Ding dong

Gregory was tense.

Ding dong

Their son was confused

Ding dong

Amber smiled weakly.

Ding dong

"...I'll get it."

Ding dong

Gregory jumped up

Ding dong

"No, I will!"

Ding dong

She gave him a look.