Thirty-Eight

Rose sat next to John, leaving Vin to sit opposite them by himself.

They were having a simple dinner. But Rose knew that it would be good enough for their guest.

It would give them time to get to know him better.

"How long are you here for?" She asked Vin.

He swallowed his food, chocking as he did so.

"Not sure. I have instructions to help you here, and once you're ready. To bring you back to my planet so you can have training and supplies. It'll save you from unknown ailments again." His reply was short, straight to the point.

"On the ship. You said she had a poisoning disease due to the ground. Does that mean that if we planted crops, they would be poisoned too?" Rose shovelled another forkful of peas into her open mouth in attempt to not sound urgent.

Vin nodded his head once, Lips pursed with his fork left in the air.

"I suppose. Yea it would." He responded coming back to life.

They ate without talking for a while, hearing the scraping of cutlery on their plates; Rose didn't want the food getting cold before they managed to eat it, and also, ran out of questions to ask. She didn't want Vin to clock onto that though.

"What time do you want to meet on the surface tomorrow?" Vin inquired suddenly.

Rose widened her eyes. She hadn't expected him to come back so soon, thinking he would've at least given them a couple of days to look after Lily.

"Erm. How about in the afternoon? Gives me time to spend with Lily." She explained.

"No problem. I'll leave the blue bottles down here for you. She will need one in the morning when she wakes back up. After that one kicks in, she will probably start getting hungry." He informed them standing up and getting ready to leave.

Rose was glad that he was. She had plans to tell him that he wasn't allowed to sleep down here, she was elated to see he had taken the initiative that it was the better idea.

Rose stood up as well. It was only polite to show people out when they had come to visit. She didn't see any difference in doing it on earth or here. Manners were needed.

"I'll show you out." She told Vin holding her hand out towards the bunker's front door.

Rose came back into the room after showing Vin out to find John spawled across their regular sofa. She let out a chuckle.

Rose tapped John on the forehead as she passed by, pushing her whole weight into flopping on the sofa opposite; surprised when she felt it move back from the motion. Rose let her head flop back, feeling her body drain all last shreds of energy. She let out a groan.

"We can FINALLY relax for once!" Rose complained to no one.

John let out his own chuckle before a massive sigh. He agreed with Rose, they needed a night off from all responsibility.

"So, how do you want to spend our one night of freedom?" He asked.

"Well, if I had a proper choice. I would say... Curl up on the sofa with a blanket and watch a funny film." Rose rolled her head to grin at him without taking her head off the back of the sofa.

"But as it's not possible, I'll go with do nothing." She ended.

"How about meeting it halfway. You can curl up on the sofa with a blanket and hot chocolate, and we'll just talk." He offered.

Knowing it was her best option, Rose reluctantly agreed.

She got the blankets and met him back on the sofas to receive her hot chocolate. Rose wrapped herself up like a burrito falling back onto the soft cushions. Even though she couldn't have what she wanted completely Rose was still finding this moment magical.