Part 17: The mysterious traveller.

The story begins as we see the group back in Mondstadt as they returned from Liyue and is now at a counter of the guild's headquarter where it is owned by a woman named Katheryne who is the receptionist.

Katheryne: Travelers, please, over here. It has been a while since you joined the Adventurers' Guild. Are your adventures going smoothly?

Aether: More companions would be nice...

Y/n: I agree. Getting more people to help us will certainly make our travels easier.

Katheryne: Hmm... is that so? Apart from your own skills, reliable teammates are also indispensable when adventuring. Another person to count on is always good, after all. But recruiting such dependable companions is no easy matter, is it?

Paimon: Yup, and it's even harder to get a guide as good as Paimon.

Katheryne: Ah, yes, I do have some information that may be of help to you... Let me consult our records... Ah, there it is. There's been a certain blond stranger who arrived in Mondstadt lately, dressed in the most unusual clothes.

Paimon: Blond... dresses all funny... It feels like Paimon's heard this one before...

Y/n: Why does the description oddly sound familiar?

Paimon: W-wait- do you mean...

Aether: Could it be...?

Paimon: Does that stranger's face look... anything like his!?

Paimon points at Aether as she asked Katheryne the question.

Katheryne: Hmm? Like the Honorary Knight's? No, they couldn't look more different. This stranger is a very tall man, and even has an eyepatch...

Aether: So, just some distant relative of Kaeya's, then...

Saikou: That would be the case.

Paimon: Seriously? How does this have anything to do with Kaeya? Eyepatches can't prove that you're related, anyway!

Katheryne: That stranger declined the Guild's invitation, so I can't say that I know anything about the relationship between him and Mr. Kaeya. Nonetheless, you can look for him if you're interested. Perhaps he might accept your commission instead. After all, it is not uncommon for some adventurers to not want to be limited by the Guild, but be happy to accept a fellow adventurer's requests. And should this stranger be a strong adventurer indeed, he would certainly be a big help on your journey.

Aether: But if he's already rejected the Guild...

Y/n: Come on Aether. Cheer up. I am sure he will gladly join us.

Katheryne: Please don't talk down on yourself like that. You are a Honorary Knight of the Knights of Favonius, after all. Your deeds are the stuff of song for all the bards in the city even now.

Aether: Well, alright then. About that stranger...

Katheryne: Well, as to further news about him... You may want to ask Mr. Lawrence. He stands guard at the city gate, so he may know something about that stranger. I wish you every success, adventurer.

The group go and meet Lawrence as they ask him about the mysterious stranger. He says that he tried to tail the stranger for acting suspicious but lost him in the end. However, he remembers that he stopped at the smithy and had a conversation with the blacksmith and suggests the group to ask him for more information regarding the stranger.

After that, they proceed to meet the blacksmith and ask him the same question as before. He replied by saying that the stranger requests for materials that are unknown to him and looks at the blacksmith's weapon at the smithy. He also says that the stranger usually drinks at the Angel's Share which is where the group will be going to next.