Chapter 5 - The Final Task (Part I)

Argus and Priscilla slowly walked through the park in the academy compound, making conversation as they enjoyed the sights.

"I must say, you've led quite the interesting life," the woman said.

"I've had my share of adventure, yes," the headmaster chuckled. "I must say, though... I've met many elves on my journeys, but none were as interesting as you, my dear."

Priscilla giggled playfully. "You flatter me, Argus. I didn't know you were such a charmer."

"There are many things about me you don't know yet." He smiled back at her, a youthful spark in his eyes.

The elf leaned closer to him and put her arm under his. "I don't suppose you have any more stories you could tell me?"

"Stories are nice, but they are not the only way to get to know a person." He smirked mischievously and turned towards her, running his fingers through her hair.

Priscilla smiled back at him, cupping his wrinkly cheek and getting so close that he could practically feel the warmth of her breath. She leaned in, pecking his cheek before quickly pulling away. "If you tell me another story I like, perhaps you'll get to know me in a different way."

"You are such a tease, Miss Pampleton," the man spoke quietly, a bit flustered. "But I've been around for long enough to know how to deal with a woman like you."

Seeing Priscilla's questioning glance, Argus pointed to his other cheek. "Make it even. Then you will get your story. It is only fair, right?"

"You're not afraid to ask for what you want." Priscilla tilted her head, smiling. "I like that."

She leaned forward, about to peck him on the other cheek, when he turned his head and kissed her on the lips. When she pulled away in shock, he smiled playfully. "That is how you deal with a woman like you."

Her shocked expression changed into a timid one and her cheeks reddened a bit. "Oh... I see..."

 "And now that I've gotten your guard down," he continued, gently grasping her long elven ear in his fingers, "I go in for gold." Saying this, he started to slowly massage it, making her wince and let out a soft moan.

"H-how do you know..."

"How do I know your weakness? Believe me, when you go to Eldar Falls twice a year, you get to know elves really, really well. Their strengths... and their weaknesses."

As the two were kissing on a bench, Priscilla in Argus' lap, a huge shadow suddenly fell over them, a huge roar sounding much too close for comfort. Startled, the pair fell off the bench and looked at the huge earthworm. Then, they both turned towards each other and nodded.

"The sooner we kill this thing, the sooner we can get back to what we were doing!" the elf puffed, jumping to her feet and clenching her fist, her three elemental marks lighting up.

"Great minds think alike!" the old man chuckled and cracked his knuckles. "Don't let my appearance fool you! You've got nothing on me, little girl!"

She grinned wildly. "Oh, it's on, grandpa! I'm going to leave you breathless!"

***

Twilight was falling by the time Velvet and Arianna reached the village of Drywaken, where their carriage was waiting for them in front of a local inn.

"Finally!" Velvet exclaimed. A white eagle with a black tail and wing tips landed next to her and turned back into her usual form.

"Barely," Arianna added.

"We finished with the cave before noon, but we still almost got caught by the night," the other girl said. "I hate the walking part of adventuring... But let's eat something now! I'm starving!"

The innkeeper was very surprised to see two young girls checking in. The brown-haired girl with the pointy hat more than gladly told him the story of how they defeated the cave goblins and the earthworm and recovered the 'treasure'.

"I've seen many travelers come through here," he said, "but this is a first!"

After giving the two girls some food and drink on the house, the innkeeper was thanked gratefully as Velvet and Arianna filled their rumbling stomachs.

"This is the life!" Velvet exhaled, lying on one of the beds in their room. "So this is how it feels like to be an adventurer!"

"Do you feel like Thoracc yet?" Arianna chuckled.

"Hmm...a bit, maybe," the other girl said. "But this is nothing yet! Thoracc saved entire villages and helped countless people! And he had many friends from all over the world!"

Smiling, her friend reminded her that they were only children. Velvet nodded seriously at this. "You're right. But ohh, I'm so excited!" She jumped up and hugged Arianna tightly. "Thank you for doing this with me!"
"Hey! What's gotten into you all of a sudden? I'm glad you are my partner too, but let's not get carried away. There is still one more task we need to complete." Her eyes darkened when she remembered what it was.
Velvet squeezed her tighter. "Don't worry about it! You helped me do my task, so it's only right for me to help you!" Arianna smiled at this, then remembered the chest. She reminded Velvet of it, the latter finally letting her go and making her way to the corner of the room, where their trophy was sitting.