Chapter 7 - Parting Ways (part I)

In the year that followed their graduation, Arianna taught her friend all she knew about air magic. They practiced both together and with Argus as he taught them more advanced casting techniques, new spells that couldn't even be found in any books at the library, and shared all of the knowledge he gathered over the course of his long and exciting life with them.

Velvet's thirst for adventure was never quenched this way, however. She could hardly contain herself within the walls of the academy and Arianna would often find herself left behind as her adventure-hungry friend wandered off into the surrounding meadows and woods.

There was an abandoned castle nearby that Velvet especially liked to explore. An old reminder of the racial war that ended more than fifty years ago now. Velvet wanted Arianna to accompany her on many occasions, but the other girl always made an excuse not to go. Poking her nose in some dusty castle ruins or traversing a forest was not a particularly pleasant pastime for Arianna. She would much rather spend her time reading books on air magic and practicing her spells safely within the walls of the academy.

Summer came and went, as did autumn and winter. It was spring now and Velvet was progressing with her air magic rapidly. She already knew most novice and intermediate spells as well as a few master level ones. They only touched upon grandmaster ones, though, and mythics were not even on the to-do list yet. On the other hand, Arianna's focus lied exactly on those last two categories. For months she practiced the same spell over and over and over again until she could cast it properly and on a consistent basis. Then, one particularly warm day at the start of Jodayn, it finally happened. She managed to cast Gale Hurricane, the mythic spell she cast in the wyvern cave during their graduation exam. Only this time, she did it without the potion she drank back then.

"Magnificent!" Argus clapped as he and Velvet stood far away on a meadow a few kilometers away from the academy, while Arianna created a storm a safe distance away from them.

Once the raging winds calmed down, the girl ran up to them, holding Velvet's former staff, which now became her own. "I did it! I did it! Wow, I can't believe it!"

"You're amazing!" her friend jumped up and down in excitement. "I knew you had it in you!"

"This is quite the achievement!" the headmaster agreed. "You're only fifteen years old and can already cast a mythic level spell! Velvet may have more raw magic power than you do, but your talent is undeniable. You are more than exceptional, Arianna!"

"Thank you," the girl bowed a little before the man. "I couldn't have done it without your guidance and support in this last year!"

"Don't thank me," he laughed in turn. "Thank yourself! After all, it is your hard work and dedication that has brought you this far. This goes for both of you! Oh, I can't wait to see which one of you gets to represent our academy for the next Magornis!"

The Magornis was a grand tournament held on a specifically designated island, aptly named Tournament island. It was a tradition that started with the end of the great racial war. Every five years, students from all fifteen magic academies in Rumerra would host a competition to select a champion representing them on this prestigious event. Any student that graduated in the previous five years was eligible to compete to become a champion of their respective academy.

These fifteen champions would then travel to Tournament island to compete in an elimination style tournament to crown the most promising young witch or wizard. It was an immense honor for any academy to have their student stand on the top of the magic world like this. The Magornis was easily the most anticipated event in Rumerra and the fact that it only happened every five years reinforced that even further.

"That's right!" Velvet jumped up upon hearing her headmaster mention this. "How could I forget! Now that we graduated, we can finally participate in the Magornis, right?!"

"Indeed," Argus nodded, grooming his beard proudly. "I'm willing to bet my beard one of you will get to be our champion. It could be either one of you!"

"It's gonna be Velvet for sure," Arianna sighed. "I'm not a fighter. I don't think I will even enter the competition to become our academy's champion. Ow!"

"Don't talk like that!" Velvet scolded her, bonking her head. "You will enter. And you will fight me in the finals to decide which one of us represents our academy. Whichever one of us wins, the other will support unconditionally! Promise me!"

"But I really don't like fighting," Arianna whined, rubbing her head. "And that's exactly what the Magornis is about – it's all one big fight!"

"I don't want to hear it," her friend was adamant. "You fought amazingly during our graduation exam! Even now when mock fighting me I can feel you still have so much hidden potential. You're not below me, Arianna. You are my equal in every way!"