Chapter 9 - A Fairy Odd Encounter (Part III)

"Whooo! This is awesome!" Trix yelled while riding on the eagle's back while making sure Pix doesn't fall out of the backpack that was sitting behind her. "We'll make it there in no time!"

"I won't be able to hold this transformation indefinitely," the bird spoke. "So far the longest I've been able to do it was for three hours. Then I will need to land and will have to rest."

"That's alright!" the fairy replied. "We'll just walk while you rest then! Or sit around a bit!"

About an hour into their flight, Pix finally woke up. He got so startled when he realized he was flying that he almost fell off together with the backpack he was in!

"Relax!" his partner calmed him down. "This is Velvet!" she patted the bird. "She will help us get you back home quicker! Isn't she nice?"

"You made contact with that girl?!" he exclaimed. "Are you out of your mind?!"

Trix sighed. "I knew you were going to react like this. Look, nobody will know. How are they possibly going to find out we made contact with a hooman?"

"Human!" the bird corrected her.

"Ah!" Pix jumped up. "This thing talks!"

"Of course I talk!" Velvet scoffed at him. "I'm only using a transformation spell!"

"A transfor-whatnow?" the fairy asked.

"A transformation spell is a spell that lets you take on a different form," the girl explained.

Trix smacked his head. "Did you learn nothing in cadet school?! You should know this!"

"I kind of slept through the elemental magics class," he admitted, chuckling.

"I'm glad to see you are doing better," the bird said.

"How's your leg?" Trix said, curious. She undid the bloody cloth she had wrapped over his open wound and looked at it.

Pix winced when she pulled it off. "Just...leave it!"

"I don't have any more healing water," Trix sighed after checking her pockets. "You don't happen to be able to use water magic, do you Velvet?"

"Not yet!" the girl chirped. "But I will one day, just you see!"

"I believe you!" the fairy smiled. "That doesn't help us now, though. Pix, looks like you will just have to not bleed out and die on your own, can you do that for me?"

"Ha-ha, very funny!" he rolled his eyes, while Velvet and Trix giggled.

"Oooh, you know what this calls for?!" the cheerful fairy yelled excitedly.

"What?" the eagle asked.

"Oh no..." the other fairy already knew. "...please, don't do that. It's really embarrassing."

"ONE LEG JOKES!!" Trix exclaimed and started laughing.

"She always does these stupid jokes that nobody but her finds funny," Pix explained.

"I like jokes!" Velvet turned her beak around a bit, eyeing them. "Tell! Tell!"

"Not these," Pix crossed his arms and looked away. "Trust me."

"Alright, alright! I got one!" her shrill voice filled their ears once again. "You know how they say you got up on the wrong foot if you're grumpy? I sure hope the ursa left Pix's good leg!"
She toppled over in laughter almost falling off the eagle's back. Velvet laughed as well.

"Please," her partner pinched the bridge of his nose. "Can you not?"

"They say I'm always one step ahead of you," Trix continued. "I guess I really am now!"

"Nooo, that's so bad!" he covered his face with his palms. "Please, contain yourself!"

"Yo, what did Pix's right leg say to his left leg? "Look at this guy! Talk about footloose!"

"Haha! That's funny!" Velvet said while laughing. Trix was dying at this point.

"No! It's terrible!" he pulled on his long ears in frustration. "For the love of the fairy queen can you please shut up?! You're driving me crazy!"

"I'd walk you crazy, but that's a bit hard to do now, is it?" she added while almost choking.

"Alina help me..." Pix sighed in resignation.

"I like you, Trix!" the bird announced after they got a little breather. "You're really funny!"

"See? Velvet loves me! Cheer up a bit, Pix! You're alive! Isn't that amazing in itself?"

The other fairy only grunted and crossed his arms, lying on the eagle's back. "Wake me up when we're back home, please..."

***

After an exhausting journey that took them almost a week, they finally arrived at the location Trix specified and guided them to. They landed one last time and Velvet reverted back to her usual human form. In the time they've been together Trix told her many things about fairies that she didn't know. For example, that their wings are made out of crystals and never stop growing.

And that they only leave their domain when going out to search for food or materials. The both of them were on such a mission right now that obviously went very badly for them. Velvet also learned that the fairies have a military force and that Trix and Pix are part of that force. Pix, of course, only rolled his eyes at Trix telling all of this to a human.