Chapter 1

A calming, rhythmic beep surrounded her but she could hear a soft, mellow echo in the room that came for the beeping.

The repetitive beeping almost made her want to go back to her deep state of rest.

She felt a wool-like material underneath her fingertips, it was warm and comforting.

Like she was covered in a protective layer of love.

She took in a deep breath of fresh, clean air. But what she smelled was not at all the picture that her senses gave her.

The breath that she took in was cold and her nose almost burned from the smell of chemicals.

She tried to clear her throat but it was dry and sore.

A shrill, piercing sound replaced the calm beeping that surrounded her.

The pain in her ears forced her to open her eyes.  But the bright light above her head gave her head a throbbing pain and she had no choice but to divert her gaze away immediately.

She felt a cold hand touch her left, now also cold, hand.

Why was it so cold all of a sudden?

She looked at the pale hand and followed the arm, up to the face of who the hand belonged to.

Brown hair and teary, red eyes. But Alina recognised that face, she could never forget it.

It was the face of her sister. 

Lissa.

Alina tried to say her sister's name aloud but there was no sound, only the tight scratch of her vocal chords.

"Here, take a sip of this." She heard a different voice next to her right.

Victor Dashkov.

She saw the cup with a straw in his hands, coming closer to her lips and just then she realised how thirsty she actually was.

She wrapped her cracked lips around the staw and siped some of the cold refreshing water.

She leaned her head back down and heard Viktor say to Lissa that he would be right back, he was just going to go and fetch the doctors.

Lissa nodded at him and turned back towards her adopted sister, wrapping both of her hands around Alina's cold, dry hand.

The doctor checked all her vitals and paperwork at least twice.

Alina soon realised that the reason that her head was in so much pain was because her head was healing from a skull fracture.

She was more awake now and was able to answer all the questions that the doctor was asking her.

All accept one.

"Can you remember what happened on the night of the crash?"

Alina gave all the doctors, Viktor and Lissa a confused look. "What crash?"