Chapter 4

The Mortal Circle was a group of human families that was the middle man between the Moroi- and the human world

There are twelve Moroi royal families and each had a Mortal Circle family to be their emissary.

The Mortal Circle was founded when humans began to suspect that there was a species that walked among them, that drank human blood, could magically control the elements and  whose skin that could burn when they are exposed to the sun.

The Mortal Circle families were the ones that went out into the world to make all the suspicions and stories sound like myths or legends and not true stories.

Over the years, the Mortal Circle grew their own culture with a mixture of Moroi, Dhampir, and human culture in it. They were literally the middle point of those three cultures.

They felt very scared about their necks because if one day the world broke apart and the Moroi were exposed to the world. There would be humans that could represent and vouch for the Moroi that hasn't been fed on. That was maybe under a spell or whatever story humans wanted to make up. So almost nobody was allowed to touch or even come close to their necks.

And as the centuries went by, their culture became a beautiful culture. They had unique gestures in greeting someone, saying thank you, showing comfort and more.

The Hansley family, Alina's family was the representatives for the Dragomir royal family. They were like family to each other.

But when Alina was five years old, there was a horrific Strigoi attack and they killed every Mortal Circle member. And because they didn’t have Guardians like the Moroi, all the families were killed except for one young child who by an incredible miracle survived. And that child was Alina Hansley.

The Dragomir family adopted Alina and just like before, they took care of her like she was their very own child.

Alina would be the last member of the Mortal Circle culture. 

The article that Dimitri was reading gave him some extra information around the situation concerning his Moroi.

She has already lost all the people from her culture, her family and now not even two months ago, she lost her adopted family to a car crash.

But even though her way of life died out 10 years ago. Some of it still slipped through, today. He has seen her still use Mortal Circle gestures and some of the things she says were also a part of her dying culture.

Dimitri sat at the small desk when he heard soft footsteps walking past his room. He walked to his door and quickly opened it, revealing Alina walking past his door, startled by the sudden movement.

“And where might you be going?” Dimitri asked as he folded his arms over his chest and leaned against the door frame.

“I… I was. I was actually coming to look for you.” Alina stumbled over her words. Not that she was trying to lie to him but she was still high from the scare and her brain was still a little mashed.