Chapter 2

Alina didn't try to think about anything, not about leaving her sister and Rose, not about the death of her adopted parents and brother

Alina didn't try to think about anything, not about leaving her sister and Rose, not about the death of her adopted parents and brother. And definitely not about the fact that she was sitting in a car with two other souls but still felt like she was alone in the world.

But of course, in the silence of the car, that was all Alina could think about. Tears started to build up in her eyes and she tried to keep herself quiet while crying, so the Guardians couldn't hear her. But who was she kidding, they were Dhampirs. They heard every teardrops and sniffs that she tried to silence.

Guardian Belikov was the one driving, she sat right behind him in the backseat and Guardian Miller sat in the passenger seat.

Guardian Miller reached forward into the glove compartment, grabbed a pack of tissues and reached it towards her in the back.

She slowly accepted the tissues and mumbled a quick thank you to him. He just nodded and kept his eyes forward. His stare on the road and woods.

Her tears dried up after an hour because there were no tears left to cry.

Alina looked around, taking in what was around her outside and inside the car.

They were driving on a lonely road in the woods, the trees were just one big green blur because of the speed the car was going.

The sun was still up high with some clouds painting the sky. Some beauty is all the chaos.

Alina focused on the inside of the car. Guardian Miller was busy on his laptop, it looked like a perimeter check-in on the clinic that she was going to.

She looked at Guardian Belikov and saw a glimpse of the Promise and Molnija marks on the back of his neck. Impressive, she thought to herself when she saw the amount of marks.

As Alina inspected everything around, she started to feel tired and her soar-cried eyes slowly closed. The soft humming sound of the tires on the road did just the job in singing her to sleep.

She slept most of the long drive but the horn of a car driving past them woke her up in a startle.

Alina stretched out her stiff limbs and muscles as much as she could in the small space of the car. Her back made a popping sound and she instantly relaxed.

She looked out of the windows and saw that they were driving on a lonely road in the middle of the woods. No signs of civilization as far as her eyes could see.

"I don't want to sound like that one annoying person on a road trip." Alina started to say. "But how far until we get there?" She asked sweetly and tried to make eye contact with Dimitri through the rearview mirror but Dimitri just kept his focus on the road.

The Guardian Miller in the passenger seat smiled back at her and answered her question. "Just another hour, then we will be there, Lady Alina."

"Please, call me Ally. The only person who ever calls me Alina, is my Godfather. Even after I asked him to call me Ally." Ally stated as she leaned forward in her seat.