Chapter 20

Instinct is an unknown phenomenon

Instinct is an unknown phenomenon. It was officially discovered and embraced by the Moroi Royal Council for about two hundred years before the use of magic in any violent way was declared a sin.

Soon after, the traditions between Moroi and Dhampir started to fade and then lost when a new system was created.

Most never truly knew why Instinct was no longer the reason for Moroi-Dhampir pairs and the banishment of it was never explained.
Instinct is a neurological and an emotional connection between two beings. The Moroi and the Dhampir. This connection was mostly used to pair two for battle and protection. But because of the beep unexplained connection, some but not all Instinct pairs had deeper relationships.

An Instinct pair was rare, so when a connection was found it was held high in the community and respected by all.

An Dhampir’s senses grew more sensitive to everything around him. And an Moroi’s magic essence grew stronger.

The Instinct pair would be protective of each other, in their own ways. The Dhampir would be the physical protector and the Moroi would become the emotional, spiritual protector.

They would train together until they have conquered all trails and lessons there is to learn. A Graduated Instinct pair would supervise the training and decide when the Training Instinct pair could Graduate.

When an Instinct pair graduated, they received a Nexum mark on their back, in between their shoulder blades.

And then they can decide what they would like to do….

What sounds nice, Alina thought to herself as she read the journal, written by the same Moroi who painted the painting that she saw at Adrian’s house.

Adrian lent the journal to her. He saw it in her eyes that she needed answers after everything he told her about Instinct. It was the journal that got him curious about Instinct and it led to him doing more research on it.

Alina read the first couple of pages which had an explanation on the forgotten phenomenon. The book was old but kept in good shape and the neatly written words were written in beautiful cursive writing.

It made her wish to be from that time. To be able to feel free to choose what one would like to do after graduating. Where you don’t have to choose who to protect and safe because everyone has had the same right to be protected and to be kept safe. A time where you don’t have to be forced into a position just because of the blood in your veins.

A time where you are free to choose who you can love in the world of Moroi.

A soft knock pulled her eyes away from the page she was reading. Alina was confused when she looked from the door to the clock against the wall. What would someone want from her when the sun was at its highest and everyone was asleep.

She closed the book and hid it under her pillow as she pulled the covers off her body and slid off the bed.

Her intentional silent steps reached the door and she stopped before it, listening to hear if the person was still there. Another soft knock from the door made Alina jump and she covered her mount with her hand to silence her soft yell.

She calmed herself down, why would she be scared of an attack inside the hotel, there are guards all around the place and it is daylight hours.