013 • The Truth

• Nadia's POV •♫ Everything I Wanted - Billie Eilish

• Nadia's POV •
Everything I Wanted - Billie Eilish.

As we pile back into the living quarters of the Avengers HQ everyone joins in congratulating me on a successful first day with the press.

It's certainly been eventful and full of surprises I was not at all prepared for but.. I survived.

"Welcome home, Avengers" I hear Tony's AI system, Friday, echo through the open plan area.

It's still early in the day and the beautiful midday sun shines through the floor-to-ceiling windows that line the edges of every room, illuminating the open plan living space.

"Friday, I want a copy of every major newspaper delivered tomorrow morning" Tony calls, registering a confirmation message as he lifts a coffee pot that finishes brewing at the precise second that he reaches for it, and pouring himself a mug.

He looks tired. We all do.

It's been a crazy few days.

I know everyone needs a break from all the sudden change. I'm only just finding out crumbs of my past as the missing jigsaw pieces of my life slot back into place. I want as much information as possible, but I don't want to overload myself or anyone around me either. I've told them enough to boggle their minds already.

Too much, too fast. It's just nice to soak in this feeling.

A team, a beautiful home, the very latest and most modern technology the world can provide. It's heaven and I deserve to let myself bask in it for at least one night without feeling the burden of having things to do and learn.

I gasp as I feel a friendly bump to my arm.

"Hey Nadia, that was really something. What you did in Sokovia.." Cap tells me, nodding his head forward in respect. It was something I was hoping we could just brush over.

"Any good soldier would do the same" I insist, trying my best to accept his compliment.

"You really should give yourself more credit, Sarg" Bucky comes in from behind him, teasing me with my newly ranked title. "Congratulations" he adds more discreetly, more sincerely, with a small squeeze of my elbow that sends a shiver straight up my spine and tingles through my brain before he slides off to a more quiet corner of the living room, letting the rest of our team crowd around me and watching from afar, as he normally does.

The little congratulations really does mean the world to me. Only a few days ago he had rescued me from a fate so degrading and miserable I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy. I had confided in him of my enthusiasm to reach a rank like his, making his gesture all the more meaningful now that I have.

"God, I'm starving," I say to myself. A maid moves instantly towards a swinging door that leads into their kitchen and I rush towards her, "Oh, really" I try to stop her, knowing she's responding to me. "There is no need. I can cook for myself." The concept of a maid is so foreign to me. As long as I can remember I've done everything for myself, by myself. It almost seems insulting that her time would be worth making me a meal.