6 | Aᴜᴅᴛɪᴏɴꜱ

𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐢

Auditions. In twenty minutes. Auditions. In twenty minutes, I thought over and over again while Tiffany did my make-up. I did my best not to shake uncontrollably at the thought of auditioning. I'm not sure how well I did at that. But Tiffany didn't accidentally poke my eye out, so it couldn't have been that bad.

"Head up, Nini," said Tiffany as she started my eyeshadow. I tilted my chin so that she had a better view.

"You don't have to do this, you know," I told her, closing my eyes.

"Don't worry about it. I like doing make-up. It's relaxing."

I chuckled softly. "For you, it's relaxing. For me, it's a headache," I told her and she laughed.

I went over my monologue in my head while Tiffany finished my make-up.

"All done! How does it look?" she asked me.

"Amazing! Thank you so much," I replied gratefully.

"No problem."

I stood up and took a few deep breaths.

"I can do this. I can do this," I muttered to myself as we joined the throng of people heading to the stage.

I wasn't doing too bad in terms of nerves... until I saw EJ. He was in cabin two with a few other guys that I didn't recognize. I felt my cheeks going pink when he looked over at me and waved . I waved back timidly and to my shock, he left his friends and came over to me.

"H-hi, EJ," I stuttered. I could hear my friends giggling and whispering behind me. Not helpful.

"Hi, Nini," he replied, smiling. We walked in awkward silence for a few moments. I watched him the whole time, mildly confused.

At East High, he always seems so easy-going and confident. But right there, right then, he seemed almost... nervous. I assumed it was just because of the auditions. But the more I thought about it, the less that made sense. I'd seen him do auditions before and he always seemed pretty relaxed.

Was he nervous about talking to me? I dismissed the thought. He's EJ Caswell. Why would he be nervous about talking to some girl he barely knows?

I broke the awkward silence. "Um, you're auditioning for the lead, right?" I asked him. Stupid Nini! Of course, EJ's auditioning for the lead! He's EJ! I mentally scolded myself.

"Yeah. You are too, right?" he asked me.

I was surprised. "Um, no. I, uh, wasn't planning on it."

"Why?" he asked me. He looked genuinely confused. "You're extremely talented."

You know how in comedies people spit water in someone's face when they're shocked about something? If there was water handy, that would have been me.

"Why would you think that? I mean, I'm flattered and everything, but I'm a chorus girl," I told him.

He laughed. "First time for everything. Also, are you talking in a British accent?"

I hoped he couldn't see my cheeks go red. "Maybe...?"

I knew I probably was. I talk with a British accent when I'm nervous. Honestly, I'm surprised I wasn't speaking in a British accent the entire time EJ was around.

I muttered some random excuse about British ancestors and recent vacations. EJ just laughed again. I like his laugh.

We arrived at the stage and took seats in the audience. My cabinmates all decided to sit five away from me and EJ. Nice moral support.