I: The Hero of the Wild

SLASH

Link bared his teeth as his sword cut right through the bokoblin's neck, sending its head flying into the bushes. Blood splattered all over his sword, his face, and his Champion's tunic as his enemy's body crashed to the ground. The camp was clear now, allowing him to claim his reward: a fancy Royal Bow.

Link admired the bow as he lifted it from the ground. "Finally," he breathed. The excursion with the bokoblins had tired him out, but it was well worth the reward. The bow looked like new, its inner frame painted purple with small gold details, adorned with engraved gold that made it as regal as its name suggested, and tied with a strong bowstring that would serve it well in ranged combat. It was a perfect replacement for Link's old bow- an Ancient bow that had been broken after several careless uses- for the time being until he could afford a new one.

After putting the bow into his pouch, he whistled for his horse, who came galloping straight to him through the woods that surrounded the camp. She was a beautiful brown mare with a black mane, and she served as Link's only companion in this lonely world of Hyrule. Her name was Floria, and Link loved her very much.

"Good girl, Floria," Link said to the horse as he patted her nose. He pulled an apple out of his pouch and held it out to her, and she gobbled it up happily. "Let's get out of here. The smell of blood is making me sick."

He climbed up onto her saddle and gave her a pat on her mane before ushering her into a canter. They rode off into the wilderness once again, and as the stench of boko blood faded from Link's senses, he took a deep breath, taking in the fresh smell of the wilderness around him. He loved it out here. Far from civilization, the various plants and animals that lived out here were plentiful, and the air was nice and fresh. It reminded him of when he first woke from the Shrine of Resurrection, when he dashed out into the big blue, eyes unclouded, the wind blowing his hair back. Before all the talk of calamity, before stumbling across the ruins of a lost kingdom, before being troubled by fragments of memory. Link would oftentimes find himself wandering off and taking in the scenery around him just to avoid thinking about those painful memories. Not to mention the plethora of animals that called these lands their home. Whenever he felt alone and scared, he would find some animals, feed them and gain their trust, and talk to them. Not all of them understood him, but at least they were nicer than most of the people he came across. Hell, even the wolves were nicer to him when they weren't trying to eat him.

Link and Floria stumbled across a small pond, which Link decided would be the perfect oppurtunity to wash the blood stains off of his face and sword. He hopped off of Floria and knelt down next to the pond, pulling out a handkercheif and dipping it in the water. For the next few minutes, he busied himself with cleaning off his face and sword, listening to the birds chirping and the trees rustling as he went. Floria was occupied with munching on some herbs when she was approached by a small rabbit. She turned towards Link and huffed to get his attention, gesturing to the rabbit when he turned towards her.

"A rabbit?" he asked, surprised at what he saw. Rabbits were, for some odd reason, very rare in Hyrule these days, and Link almost never saw any rabbits that weren't Blupees. Naturally, he was happy to see this one.

Putting his sword back in its sheath, he stood up and carefully made his way to the rabbit, trying his best not to scare it as he knelt down beside it.

"Hello there, little one," he said quietly. The rabbit looked at him, its ears twitching as he spoke. It was too cute for words, and Link couldn't help but chuckle.

"Don't worry, I won't hurt you," he assured the creature. He reached into his pouch and pulled out a small Swift Carrot, slowly handing it to the rabbit. It sniffed the carrot warily, and then took a small bite. Once it felt comfortable, the rabbit grabbed the carrot and nibbled away.