45 One last time

I sat on the floor in our now completely empty living room as I let my gaze travel around the room. The boys were once again playing with their cars and trucks while the girls were napping on the blanket in front of me. We were waiting for Roman to come home. 

The movers had just loaded the last boxes and furniture. Now they were already on their way to our new home, where we would meet them tonight. Pat followed them with one of our cars.

"Baby girl? I'm back. The car is fueled and I've already packed the stuff for the boys and the twins. Now I just have to grab the bags with the beverages and snacks." I heard Roman say as he came through the door.

His voice echoed off the empty walls as he came over and sat down next to me and the girls. Neither Josy nor Delia noticed. When they were full, they slept through everything. No matter how much noise Henry and Carson made. I really hoped it would stay that way.

"That's good. Thank you, love. We are ready then." I replied as I picked Josy up and stood up with her in my arms. 

Roman took Delia in his arms and followed me as I wandered through this house one last time. Memories of the first time I was here ran through my mind. I couldn't help but think about how much had happened since then and why I had moved in here in the first place. Everything that had led me into Roman's arms seemed so far away. Almost as if it had happened in another life. And in a way, it had. I was no longer the same person I had been five years ago.

Back then, when Gabriel cheated on me and I lost my job, I never thought it was the best thing that could have happened to me. After all, if even one of those things hadn't happened, I might not be here today. Married to the love of my life and the mother of four beautiful, healthy and so beloved children.

"What are you thinking about, baby girl?" asked Roman gently as he put an arm around my waist.

"About everything...  Of everything we've been through here...how you first brought me here. I'm going to miss this home. I still remember how worried I was and that I was afraid you would get in trouble. You really changed my life. In the best way. Marrying you was the best decision I ever made in my life.

And I am so glad that you stood at my door and insisted on helping me. To be in love with you is the greatest gift. And I thank God and Summer every day for bringing us together. Do you remember what you said to me after I explained what Gabriel had done?" I said and leaned against him, enjoying his closeness and warmth.

"I told you you'd find someone better. And guess what... I was right. You know that I was intrigued by you from the first moment I saw you. Once I laid my eyes on you, there was no turning back. And when I found out that you had to leave the country.... I knew that I couldn't let that happen under any circumstances. Losing you was not an option. That's why I married you. Because I loved you from the first moment," Roman replied and pressed a kiss on my hair.

I lifted my head so that he could give me a proper kiss. Our lips touched gently and I could feel the smile on Roman's full lips. I was happy and so was he. We had our own, not so small, family. We had found love.

"Thank you for making me stay," I whispered against his mouth.

"Thank you for staying with me." he replied after another kiss.

"Ich liebe dich, Ro." I said softly. (I love you, Ro.)

"Ich liebe dich, Dani." he replied and then gave me a kiss on the nose. (I love you, Dani.)

"Hey don't kiss Mama!" complained Carson.

"Yeah! No kissing!" agreed Henry as the two of them clung to our legs.

"One day you'll understand, boys. Alright... shall we?" their father replied with a low heartfelt chuckle.

"Yes let's go. It's a long drive. And I can't wait to fill our new home with memories." I said as I looked first at Roman, then at Henry and Carson, and finally at Josephine and Delia. All my loves.

Roman and I carried the girls to their baby carriers and buckled them in. Meanwhile, the boys gathered up their toys to put in their little backpacks. Then we were ready to leave.

Roman carried the babies to the car and the boys followed on their daddy's heels. I let my eyes wander through the house one final time before I closed the door behind me for good. I was looking forward to our next chapter and was glad that we would be closer to our family to share all the beautiful moments with them.

Of course it always stung a little to be so far away from my family, but I had found something here in this country that was 1000% worth it. And I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. I had found the place in the world where I belonged. And that place was at Roman's side.