Chapter 4 - Troubled Night

[Miku's POV]

My feet were planted on the ground and I wasn't able to say anything. I looked at Kanae who was just looking at the man as if he wouldn't back down. His fists were clenched and he didn't stray his eyes away.

"You told us last time that you had work. But it looks like you're working on something else." The girl implied walking beside the man who was still staring daggers at Kanae.

I started to get frightened about what was going on but I felt Kanae's hand on my shoulder which calmed me a bit.

"What is it that you folks want? We're not looking for trouble." Kanae spoke calmly, trying to defuse the situation.

But it seems like this man wasn't having any of it and started to raise his voice against Kanae.

"You already got one when you blatantly ignored my girl's friend here. You should be more careful who you give that attitude of yours"

"Okay," Kanae shrugged and replied with a cold tone. I was surprised when he held on to my wrist and pulled me towards him as we start to walk past them.

The man stopped Kanae with his arms in front of us. "Not so fast, kid. We're not done here yet."

"What else do you need from me then?"

"You haven't even apologized to them."

"I did. You just weren't there."

"A smartass, huh?"

Kanae ignored them. We continued to walk but the man said,

"That's too bad. Our friend was a fine gal but you settled with some nerdy bitch with headphones."

Kanae stopped in his tracks and it doesn't look good. I tried to give him a signal not to go back but he turned to the man and walked towards him.

"That's right." The man continued to mock him and Kanae didn't say anything. "You should know how to pick a gi—"

He wasn't able to continue spouting nonsense after Kanae tried to give him a right hook to his face.

The man was stunned and had stepped back for a bit after spitting some blood.

"Fucking cheap shot. Is that all you got!?" He charged toward Kanae and tackled him.

My body was trembling, my hands were shaking, and words won't come out of my mouth. I wanted to scream for help but my throat was being choked by the tension I'm experiencing right now. The man punched Kanae's face and tried to give him another one to his body but luckily he blocked it.

They continued to beat each other up until we heard a police car that seemed to be patrolling the area.

"That's enough! We need to go, we wouldn't want to be caught." The girl voiced out and I saw the man's face covered in blood and bruises.

After they ran, I noticed Kanae run up to me, holding my wrist again, and without saying anything, he dragged me somewhere away from the patrolling car. After a couple of minutes, we were able to get to the bus station while both of us were trying to catch our breath.

I'm not the most athletic person there is, but I didn't have a choice since Kanae was dragging me. We were still both panting and I saw Kanae's face beaten up as well.

"Are you alright?" He asked while trying to wipe the blood on his right temple.

I couldn't help it anymore and my tears started to fall from my eyes. "W—what are you saying...? You're the one who's in a bad shape...!" I tried to wipe my eyes but I can't seem to stop crying. After the adrenaline left my body, my emotions came rushing in and I can't contain them anymore.