Chapter 6 - Reminisce

"Kanae..." I heard a soft voice while feeling a gentle tap on my shoulders enough to wake me up.

With all the morning energy I have, I replied, "Hmmm...?"

"Son, it's time to wake up. You wouldn't want to be late for your first day."

"Mama?" I turned to my mother who then proceeded to give me a warm hug.

"Good morning...! Breakfast's ready."

"Hmm! Okay...! Where's papa?"

"He went and prepare the car but he'll take some breakfast with us. I'll go ahead. You better follow, alright?"

"Yes, mama. I'll be there."

It's my first day in middle school and I'm excited to meet new people since I don't really know anyone from the school I enrolled at. I was fortunate enough to have a full scholarship since I wanted to help my parents with the finances.

We're not a rich family but Mama and Papa are working hard just so we can have a comfortable life. I can't work yet but this is the best that I can do for now to help them; studying hard and not be a headache for them.

I started to walk towards the dining table and I saw my parents preparing breakfast for me.

"Son! Good morning!" I heard my father's energetic voice greeting me early in the morning.

"Good morning, Papa! This smells good!" I smiled while taking a seat, appreciating the food that was being prepared in front of me.

"Of course, it does! I was the one who cooked—Ow!" Papa was then interrupted when mama playfully hit his head.

"What are you saying? I was the one who cooked it, obviously! Kanae wouldn't believe you anyway." She chuckled then continued to hand me my plate, "Here you go, son."

"Thank you!"

"No prob!" She smiled and then said, "I have work tonight so once you two head off, I'll just be taking some rest. Setsu, do you think you can pick up Kanae later after his school?"

"Of course, I'll be picking him up since I don't have a lot of things to do at the auto shop later."

"Thanks, Papa."

"Sure thing, son. Besides I don't want some old lady nagging me about not picking you up."

"Who are you calling old!?" Mama protested while raising her hand looking like she was about to hit his head once more.

"Alright, I'm sorry! You can put the hand down, Takami! I was just joking. You look as pretty as the day I met you." Papa gave her a smile and Mama wasn't able to say anything anymore.

"You... You mean it!?"

"Of course..." I saw Papa place his hand on top of hers and I saw them smiling at each other.

"Uhm..." I tried to interject.

"S—sorry about that, son. Anyways, your Papa should be able to teach you how to commute next time, since we can't guarantee that he can always drop you off at school."

"That's okay, I understand! I wouldn't want you guys to have a hard time as well."

"Oh, you..." She smiled at me.