Protect the Young Pawn

Flashback

At the age of a young woman, Pearl would often retreat to the land of no magic for brief outings. She found the land peaceful and full of intriguing things. She found that the best way was to frequent shops and explore the items.

The young princess's long shiny chestnut curls laid in a side Dutch braid, pleated from the crown of her head to her elbow. Thin loose fly away curls framed her youthful face. The girl's white cap-sleeved dress flowed in a straight skirt to her feet, her waist cinched with a silver sash. The fabric, light on her skin in the summer heat. She wore white calf-skin gloves on her hands. She elected to wear the style of the Era in the land of no magic, as to blend in easily, as easily as a young woman of her beauty could.

Today she was exploring flowers, garden seeds for planting, and various board games for children.

Her tiny nose, tickled with freckles-- now wrinkled in curiosity at the young man, who had been watching her from behind a flower display at the market. He had been staring so intently, that when he stepped forward he knocked down a shelf of newspapers.

He bent down awkwardly and picked up the disheveled papers, the young woman turned to look at him and snicked to herself, before returning to her shopping. The young man dusted off his jacket and composed himself as he approached her,

"Good day, Miss," he stated shyly, while removing his hat.

"Good day, Sir," she replied, continuing to gather seeds and avoiding his eyes.

"Admiring the chess board, are you?" He asked, making polite conversation.

"All the world is a giant chess board, don't you agree?" Pearl replied.

The man chuckled, "I had not considered that, but it is an intriging thought. Why do you not look at me when you greet me?"

"It is you who greeted me, thus the responsibility is yours, Sir." She quipped.

"You speak strangely," he remarked, with an air of amusement.

"That is relative, I suppose." She replied with cheek.

"Forgive my ill manners. My name is..."

"If you please, Sir, I would rather we not exchange names. I am not from here, you see-- and would lament it greatly if you became attached."

"I see...Well in that case, would you be so kind as to allow me to take you to my home for an early supper...I would like for you to have a good impression of our town and its gentlemen." The young man suggested, rather boldly.

"It would be impolite to decline your offer, good Sir." The young woman agreed, with mischeif in her eyes.

It wouldn't be long before their supper had been eaten and the night lights had been lit. Their brief romance lasted as long as the flames in the young man's fire place. Only the embers remained as the sun had risen the next morning.

The young man rolled over to pull the young woman into his arms as he lay unclothed on a pile of quilts by the extinguished embers. However, he was saddened to find the side next to him empty. In its place laid a single white rose. This remained the only indication that the trist had not been simply, a wonderful dream.

It had been almost a year later, before the young gentleman would hear of Pearl again. He had married his familial-arranged betrothed, with whom he decided to settle down. She was a kind and well-bred woman and she made a sensible wife. But, she was not the young woman from that night. He had been left with questions and an ache in his heart after she had dissapeared into the early morning hours.

The present night was tempestuous. Sheets of rain pat loudly against the windows of the small Victorian house. Lightning zipped through the deep indigo-grey sky. The rumble of thunder groaned in the darkness, as the wind rushed through the trees.

Cries of a newborn infant sounded above the storm. High pitched fearful cries filled the sharp ears of the tiny creature hiding nearby, awaiting the passing of the storm. She had been gathering treasures from the world that valued shiny gems and sparkling gold above all else. In a place where magic did not exist.

The pixie would typically fly away from the irritating sounds of the human baby, but she found herself pulled towards him. Curious and intrigued by the infant. She flew to him and hovered above his face, wet from rain and tears. He was wrapped in a white and silver blanket, and laid snugly in a woven basket that had been placed on to the stoop of the Victorian home.

Tinkerbelle picked up a large leaf in order to shield the child's face from the unforgiving rain. Her golden glow illuminating the small area in the dark cast of night.

The baby suddenly stopped crying, and watched the pixie with wonderment. Tinkerbelle in her curiosity touched the cheek of the baby, and she instantly felt a spark within her soul. It overwhelmed her and she was overrun with unfamiliar feelings of affection and longing as she looked upon the child. Her soul was connecting to his in a way she never knew possible.

Tinkerbelle in that moment, felt like he was placed there as a gift for her. She sprinkled him in pixie dust and made him laugh, he instantly lifted off the ground, and she led him home to the land where the sunshine rode on their backs and the ferns covered the ground-- where lagoons flowed clear and blue, and the sky lit in violet overtones. Where no child would ever grow up.

Having heard the commotion of the baby crying, the newly wed couple was awoken from their slumber. They stepped on to the stoop to find an empty basket and a water softened note. The young man read the paper, holding it carefully in his fingers,

"Understand the seriousness of this statement, this child is in fact your son. I'm sorry, I felt it better that he grow up with you, in a world far safer than my own. My Kingdom will be under threat of those who do not understand, and fear all that we can do. I cannot trust a single soul in this realm. I hope that I can place this precious gift into your hands. A battle is coming, the queen will be sacrificed to protect the young pawn."

Sincerely,
Her Highness,
Princess Pearl,
The Order of the White Rose
Lands of Wonder and of the Looking Glass.

"The white rose..." The young man parroted, in confusion before realization came over him.

"The girl..." he murmured.

The young man searched the blankets in the woven basket, but no child was there to be found.

"But...where is the baby?" He asked aloud to his wife.