Chapter 9

When Louis hears George closing the front door he runs (tries to run) to Alex's room who's still crying. He opens the door to a dark room, so he turns the light on and sees his little angel standing up on his crib making grabby hands.

"Baby boy." Louis whispers as he carries him on his arms.

"Papa." Alex says looking at Louis' face, he notices the tears and the blood. "You good?"

"Yes baby." Louis smiles at him. "Are you okay?" He asks examining him like he did early today in the park.

"Yes." Alex says; touching Louis' bruises on his face. "You have a boo boo." He frowns.

"I'm good." Louis lies; the pain in his face and rear area is killing him.

"Sowwy." He whispers.

"Don't worry baby, is not your fault." Louis says hugging him tight against his chest.

"Daddy give you a boo boo." He makes a pouty face. "Bad daddy."

Louis smiles at him; the innocence of his son warms his heart.

"Hungry?" He asks; knowing that he didn't eat anything since lunch. Alex shakes his head; burring his face in Louis' chest.

"Baby boy," Louis whispers in his ear. "You have to eat, want a feeding bottle?"

"No." Alex says in a whispers; he's hungry but he doesn't want to let go of Louis because he wants to feel safe and he feels safe whenever he's in Louis' arms.

"Want to go night night?" Louis asks; caressing his hair. Alex only nods. Louis lays Alex on the crib and tuck him. Alex looks at him with sleepy eyes; he's really tired and only wants to go to sleep.

"Sing the night night song, please." Alex says; putting his thumb in his mouth. Louis had been trying to get rid of that habit but he doesn't have the heart to do it when he's sleeping because he only waits a few seconds before putting his thumb inside his mouth again.

"Okay, I'm just going to turn off the light but I'll leave your read light on." He's sure Alex doesn't even know what's the deference between the light and the reading light but Alex's pediatrician told him to talk to him like if he's a 4 years old boy so he can learn. He drags a chair with him and places it in from of Alex's crib. When he looks at Alex, he's half sleep; smiling at him. Louis sits down carefully; trying not to hurt himself even more. He puts down one of the crib's side so he can caresses Alex's hair easily. He starts caressing his hair; thinking about how he can sing the nigh night song without crying.

"Somewhere over the rainbow

Way up high

There's a land that I heard of

Once in a lullaby

Someday I'll wish upon a star

And wake up where the clouds

Are far behind me

Where troubles melt like lemon drops

Away above the chimney tops

That's where you'll find me." He whispers the last words; noticing his son is sleeping already.

He makes sure his blanket is covering him before he puts the side of crib back on. He walks outside the room, closing the door behind him; trying to go to the kitchen. When he gets there he puts the dinner in the refrigerator; he makes a feeding bottle for Alex even though he told him he wasn't hungry. He goes back to Alex's room and leave the feeding bottle there. Finally he goes to the bathroom to take a warm shower. He turns on the water before striping himself; he looks at himself in the mirror and notices the new bruises. Louis notice his bottom lip is split; his right eye has a small bruise around, he has dried blood in his nostrils. No wonder why Alex told him that daddy gave him a boo boo. He looks away before the tears start running down his cheeks. He walks slowly to the shower and take the temperature with his hand; making sure is warm. He gets under the water; trying to wash away his sorrow. He stays there until his skin gets wrinkled from being in the water for so long. He puts clean pj's and goes back to Alex's room. He takes out some of his son's extra blankets and make a bed in the floor. He also gets one of his teddy bears to use it as a pillow; he lays down in his bed make of blankets trying to go to sleep.