Chapter 18

Edric had fought in a war, he had mercilessly dealt with traitors and had made radical changes to the state of the capital. None of them was easy tasks, some physically demanding while the others mentally. But none of them compared to what he was going through at that point. Then again, what he was going through paled in comparison to what his wife was going through.

The morning had begun normally, the couple broke their morning fast together, and had a walk in the garden before they separated to do their respective duties. But not even an hour was spent before Edric heard the distressing news. His wife had gone into labour. It was too early, at least by a month. The King was not allowed to go past the bedchamber doors, listening to the screams of his wife on the other side of the wooden doors.

"The Grandmaester is doing the absolute best in there, nephew. You need to calm yourself" his uncle and Master of Coins Tyrion Lannister advised him.

"Hard to remain calm when your wife is in there screaming her head off trying to push your child out" Edric muttered, pacing the area in front of the chamber doors.

"Your mother screamed like this when she was birthing you," Jaime Lannister of the Kingsguard and uncle to The King said, "and here both you and your mother stand. Worry not, she will be alright. Our Queen is not a weak woman by any means. And your heir will be just as strong."

The sentiment was appreciated, but the wording of it made Edric scowl at his uncle. But before he could say much, the doors to the chamber opened and out walked Winifred. She was the woman attending to the Queen all through her pregnancy and was there to help the master with the delivery. "Your Grace, the Queen had a successful delivery. Congratulations" the woman bowed, and took a step to the side to let the new father in.

Edric rushed in right away, finding his wife in the bed, soaked in sweat and breathing heavily. She smiled at him when she saw him and held out a hand for him. The King rushed to her, knelt beside the bed and took her hand.

"How are you feeling, my love?" the King asked, kissing the back of his Queen's hand.

"Tired... and a little sore" the amused glint in her eyes eased the man's nerves.

"Your Grace" Grandmaester Pycelle moved towards them, a bundle in his arms. "A healthy princess, my heartiest congratulations."

The couple let go of each other's hands, in awe at the sight of the girl the master put in the Queen's arms. At the sight of their girl.

"She's so tiny" the Queen murmured in worry.

"She is early, your Grace. But miraculously very healthy" the Grandmaester said softly.

The Queen nodded her head and looked at her daughter properly, her worried frown turning into a loving smile. "She has my hair, and your nose" the new mother laughed softly.

"She looks like a potato" the King commented, yelping when his Queen smacked him square in the nose.

"She is perfect," she told her husband sternly.

"I did not say she wasn't!" the man defended himself, earning a roll of the eyes from his wife. The King looked back at his princess, and a wide smile grew on his face. "She has my eyes," the man said proudly. The Queen looked down and smiled at her daughter, who was looking curiously at her and the child's father.

The Queen's grip on the child loosened and Edric worked quickly to keep the baby in his wife's arms. "Desmera, are you feeling alright?"

"Just tired... my King" the woman whispered weakly.

"Birthing a child is never an easy task" Tyrion spoke softly. "Maybe we should let the Queen rest? And the babe sleep. Even she looks to be a little drowsy.