Chapter 8

The place where they agreed to meet was empty when they arrived. Eventually students began seeping outside, often crowding the area when heading to the football pitch. Makoto and Naegi sat on the bench, waiting for everyone to go through. 

''By the way, Nagito, what is a victory in this case? Is our aim to knock out the opponent or to force them to surrender? Sorry if this sounds a bit too obvious.'' Makoto wanted to ask this question before. He expected Naegi to explain it since without it being answered the entire contest appeared utterly pointless and stupid. 

Nagito responded with his ever comforting smile, ''Makoto, I'm so glad that it was you whom I chose to face off! You make such good points!'' His face then grew pensive. ''To be honest, my intention behind challenging you was to see you filled with hope and to see that talent of yours reach its utmost height. Now, there was nothing else besides this that came to my mind. It's really saddening that I'm so inferior in all aspects outside of my luck. You have been much more thoughtful and creative in approaching this matter than I, Makoto! All of this hope, all of it - it seems like there is too much of it sometimes. Do you think that one can be filled with too much hope, Makoto?!'' 

Makoto beheld his friend with worry, then he understood how Nagito's ramblings actually related to him. He was too hopeful and confident about his relationship with Mukuro, thinking that he was her friend when in reality he wasn't even able to help her when she suffered. Junko might've lied about everything, but this did not vindicate him in his eyes. Despite their reconciliation, he still didn't understand why he had acted in that manner. 

''Yes, Nagito, I do think so. Excessive hope causes a false sense of security and naivety. Also, you shouldn't see yourself as my inferior just because of some small slip-ups. Let's see who really is the better one right now,'' Makoto nudged him and they parted, going to the opposite ends of the empty court. Faint lines could be discerned on the ground which must've served some purpose in the past. Makoto positioned himself on one such line, unsure if these ceremonious acts mattered in this instance. Nagito waved at him from the opposite side of the court. 

''This must be the strrraaaaangggeesttttt meetup I've ever seen. What are you guys doing?'' Makoto heard a feminine voice and turned around. Ibuki was walking towards him with her guitar and what appeared to be a fairly large portable speaker. He was surprised how unaware of the strangeness of her own look Ibuki was. 

''Hello, Ibuki. We're...well, it's really hard to explain.'' 

''Is this supposed to be one of those movie scenes where two cowboys face off each other? AND THEN PEW-PEW, PAW-PAW, DEEEEEEAAAADDD!'' She pointed her finger guns at Makoto, dramatically grabbing her own neck afterwards pretending to be dying. The scene was comical, no less because of the likely bewilderment shared by Nagito on the other side of the court, seeing Ibuki's performance. 

''No, not exactly. We are facing off to try each other's luck,'' Makoto said calmly, hoping that the girl would calm down. 

''Testing your own luck? Hmm. Aaaaaaaahhh, now Ibuki gets it! You guys are like those superheroes and you can do whatever you want because you're lucky - yes?'' 

''Yes, it's like you say,'' Makoto acquiesced. If he had problems with understanding Nagito's unfinished plan then he was unlikely to explain it to someone like Ibuki. Moreover, he wanted the girl to go away before Mukuro's arrival.