Chapter 14

Several coaches were set to arrive the next day. Makoto wanted to invite Mukuro to the nearby park where they trained to reminisce about their time at Hope's Peak since he didn't know how long they would remain at the new school. He intended to do this much earlier but time passed so quickly that he delayed his plan. The last time he saw Mukuro was at Mikan and during the days following that event he was too overwhelmed by other matters; his parents weren't convinced that it was a good idea for him to continue his time at Hope's Peak, each day coming up with a new reason. Makoto tried to change their mind in vain. He even asked Komaru to help him out, but his sister was indecisive and her sympathy was likely induced by her unwillingness to question her older sibling. He eventually stopped talking to his parents, expecting their disapproval to wear off. 

As Makoto was leaving his dorm to meet with Mukuro, however, he was accosted by Kazuichi who looked displeased.

''Where do you think you're going?'' 

''Hello, Kazuichi, about that thing with Taka...'' He tried to force out some excuse, but Kazuichi's impatience overtook him. 

''You consider yourself my friend but when Nagito started to blabber about me apparently spying on Miss Sonia you didn't even say a word?! What the hell, man? That's like something Hiyoko would do and I hate her guts. Seriously, Taka was chasing and watching me for several days until I stopped leaving my room completely!'' Kazuichi shouted angrily, though clearly not ready to renounce their friendship wholeheartedly. ''You gotta...make up for it or something, Makoto, or I will tell everyone about your treachery!'' He then pointed dramatically at Makoto, 

''Yeah, I deserve that,'' Makoto said, relieved that Kazuichi's carefree approach prevented a bitter argument or an outright fight. ''But what am I to do?'' 

Kazuichi grinned, pumping up his fists. ''The local arcade. I don't have much cash as of now but wanted to go there one more time before we leave. It's quite good so maybe your girlfriend should come along too.'' 

''She's not my girlfriend,'' Makoto remarked and added, ''but alright. I suppose it's a fair recompensation for what I did. Are you going to approach Nagito as well?'' 

Fear swept away joy from Kazuichi's face. ''That guy creeps me out too much. He's like a walking curse. Whenever you want something from him or have a problem something bad happens to you.'' 

''Yeah, I think I know what you mean...Anyway, when should we go to the arcade?'' 

''Later today. Kyoko and Shuichi want me to help them with something related to their investigation. Maybe we should meet up outside the school gates at around five in the afternoon.'' 

Makoto agreed and made his way to Mukuro's dorm. There the door opened before he even had the time to knock. 

''Hiii!'' Mukuro greeted him. She was dressed more formally than before, donning a red tie, white button down shirt and black pleated skirt. Makoto hesitated to look down at the stockings and black shoes she was also wearing lest he appeared creepy. 

''How did you know I was coming?'' 

''I could tell, besides, you're late,'' she said smiling. 

''Sorry about that. Kazuichi stopped me on the way here and I had to make a deal with him.'' 

''A deal?''

''I'll tell you later. For now, let's go to the park.'' 

Mukuro locked her dorm and they headed out. The sky was dabbled with sporadic clouds, while the warmth of the sun was regularly disrupted by a cold breeze. They followed a path before settling on a bench partly overshadowed by a tree; the bench gave a full view of the entire park which was quite empty at this hour. A dog's bark or some car horn in the distance interrupted the silence from time to time.