Chapter 19

''...But what happened here?'' Makoto's eyes darted from the strayed bullets lying on the ground to the shattered targets above him. 

''I was training. Nothing important.'' Mukuro responded as she adjusted her cardigan and one of the stockings which already bore a narrow tear. 

''You're underestimating this too much... you're an ultimate soldier after all.' He picked up one of the bullets, looking at it thoughtfully. ''Would you like help with cleaning this place up? This seems like a very well made lab.''

''I'll do that later...most likely at the end of the day since I might come back here for one more session.''

''Good to hear.'' He continued to feel the bullet in his hand. ''These are quite dangerous, don't you think?''

''I remember completing training courses that were most difficult than this and involved...actual bullets.'' 

''You really are amazing, Mukuro...but I don't think that I could stand to watch you doing something like that.'' Makoto confessed, wondering whether his concern for her would ever turn into a hindrance. 

''It's training, not a skill...''

''No matter how much I train, I don't think I'd get ever used to the sound of deadly bullets whizzing past my head...hehe.'' He walked around, eyeing everything around him. ''...They designed this very well, don't you think?''

''Who are you talking about?'' Mukuro felt that something troubled him. There was an unusual impatience in his voice. 

''About whoever designed our research labs...they were probably assisted by our teachers, but their work turned out impressive nonetheless. The cost must've pained Kyoko's dad...or at least the school's budget. You must know that other labs are equally well equipped...Miu's and Kazuichi's especially. This still bothers me...''

''The labs bother you?'' 

''Yes and I don't know why. Problem solving isn't my expertise...neither is theory making, so I shouldn't be wasting my time on this - but I cannot stop myself.'' Makoto threw the bullet away and approached the weapon workbench. ''I cannot let go of my fear that something will happen again after speaking to Nagito...he has a strange influence.''

''...''

''I don't know if he should be trusted, but there has to be a reason why he spoke only to me about this and not anyone else. He may be mistaken...''

''...''

''...But there's no doubt that he has his reasons for being-''

Makoto felt Mukuro's hand on his shoulder. 

''Why do you worry...so - much?'' She asked, her voice faltering. She saw reflections of Junko's constant agitation in his worry. Much like Makoto, her sister never seemed to be at peace, always mulling over something, until her thoughts became too overwhelming, inflaming her with a spirit that danced between anger and detachment.