Chapter 1

''Who's your target audience? Overdue emo boys? Perhaps some desperate losers who have no other girls to choose from? You must start to think about these things, Mukuro. I won't always be here to tell you what to do; that would require time and, as you very well know, time is a privilege.'' Junko stated, lolling on her chair in a manner that lessened the seriousness she was just trying to convey. 

She and her sister, Mukuro Ikusaba, were waiting for the next lesson in the Hope's Peak canteen, which was mostly desolate already as lessons were about to resume. 

Among those still present, there was one boy to whom Mukuro's attention was drawn immediately when he happened to be nearby. She was watching him from the corner of her eye, often adjusting her chair to give herself an excuse to look at him without arousing suspicion. That boy was Makoto Naegi. He was talking with one of his classmates, Nagito Komaeda, who shared the same talent as Makoto: ultimate luck, though Nagito was blessed with its different rendition, as his luck usually brought misfortune upon others, while Makoto's, to Mukuro's hidden amusement and concern, rarely benefitted the boy himself.

It wasn't typical for them two to spend lunch together. Makoto was bemused by Nagito's enthusiasm about understanding the workings of his luck, insisting, in a self-deprecatory manner, that Makoto's luck must've been more exceptional than his. Mukuro eavesdropped on these conversions, but found herself lost whenever Nagito's exalted speech turned to the topic of hope and praising his friend's hopeful spirit. Makoto tended to respond with modesty and meekness, making futile efforts at convincing Nagito that he wasn't worthless.  

Mukuro never had the chance to approach Makoto. He was either with his other friends or Nagito. Because of Junko's laziness, she often had the chance to linger in the canteen for longer, that's when she'd await for him to be left alone, so that she could talk with him or at least show a friendly gesture that'd have her noticed. Yet when that chance came, she remained mute, too startled by the sudden possibility to approach him. Talking with him was the subject of her imagination and for that fantasy to be realised - it defied her understanding. Occasionally, she sought to speak with him during shorter breaks and after lessons, hoping that she'd feel less stressed when in a hurry, but that plan was hard to realise since she grew used to spending most of her time with Junko. She feared lest such frequent goings would make her sister suspicious. 

To avoid disappointing Junko was her purpose. For her sister to find out that a former mercenary, supposedly hardened by incessant combat and ruthless regimes, struggled to approach a boy much weaker than her, would be the pinnacle of disappointment and embarrassment. Mukuro had to keep her obsession at bay; discretion was necessary.

''Em, hello? Why are you spacing out again? Did you finally come up with something that'd bring you out of your miserable state?'' Junko scoffed, snapping her fingers in front of Mukuro's face. 

''No, Junko, no. I'm just...tired. Sorry. I will head to my dorm now.'' Mukuro explained apologetically, taking her tray and aligning the chair she sat on, before bowing to Junko and marching away.

''Whatever. But you better remember what I said - for your own good. I don't like to repeat myself.'' She heard Junko remark and turned around to bow contritely again, dreading for her silly thoughts to be a cause of another argument. She couldn't allow that to happen. Only Junko loved her; Junko was her world; without Junko, she'd be nothing. 

While walking away, she passed Makoto and Nagito talking - a fiery debate having overtaken them both. Mukuro heard snippets of what they said, concluding that the conversation was about luck yet again.