Postscriptum IV: Farewell, Hope

After introducing herself to the class, Mukuro was told to seat near the window. The seat behind her was empty until a funny-looking boy barged into the classroom, grinning sheepishly at the teacher.

''I can explain,'' he started but the exasperated teacher had no patience to hear him out and told him to sit down.

The boy bowed down and, as he was passing Mukuro's desk, he met her eyes and smiled affably.

When the lesson finished, Mukuro hurriedly packed her belongings. The boy's smile persisted before her eyes. She had to go to Junko to forget about him. It was silly and immature of her to be so fixated on such an insignificant gesture that the boy likely made unknowingly.

''Hey''

''Huh?'' She saw that it was that boy. ''Hello''

''I-Is it your first day today? I've never seen you before. . . although I'm usually absent at lessons this early in the morning,'' the boy explained and scratched his head.

''Yes,'' Mukuro said tersely and fell silent.

''So, what's your name. . .?''

''Ikusaba Mukuro''

''Well, I'm Naegi Makoto, nice to meet you!" He stated and met her eyes with the same smile marking his face, but it disappeared when the teacher loomed over him.

''Naegi Makoto. Your courtesy to fellow students is irreproachable as always,'' here the teacher, a middle aged man whose head was already marked by grey hairs, nodded at Mukuro, before looking back at Makoto severely, ''however, your frequent belatedness makes one believe that you do not share the same respect towards your teacher.''

''Well. . .'' Makoto said timidly and lowered his head.

'''That's not it,' is that your response?''

''Sorry. . . I guess that I'll have to stay here after school.''

''It better not be a guess. Hope's Peak wants to see you cultivate your talent without leaving everything else by the wayside. So, that time you will spend here after school will be to your advantage.'' Having finished pontificating, the teacher walked away, while Makoto's face glowed red.

''Cultivating my talent, huh?'' He said to himself thoughtfully, and looked at Mukuro. ''By the way, what's your talent?''

''I'm a soldier,'' she answered, assuming that asking about someone's talent after knowing their name was a formality exclusive to Hope's Peak.

''That's. . . Impressive. I never expected to meet an ultimate soldier or someone with such a talent that's my age. . . You must be really exceptional.''