Chapter 2: Day Well Spent

3rd Person POV

Nicks truck pulled into the driveway of a beautiful two-story house, four-bedroom, three bathrooms, a large backyard, and two car garage bottom-line this house was way better than Nicks small one-story house. Nick gazed at the house and felt a tightening feeling in his chest whenever he was near the house, but he was eager to see his kids and spend the weekend with them. Getting out of his truck Nick heard the heavy wooden front door open and there he saw the family of four.

His ex-wife Ella a stunning woman from Norway, she had diamond blue eyes with big framed glasses and blonde hair that went down to her shoulder blades. Her job was as an architect designing buildings for the state of Texas and beyond.

In front of her were there two bundles of joy, Astrid and Noah. Astrid was 7 years old the oldest sibling, she had dark blue eyes like the deepest of the seven seas, and like her mother she had blonde hair. Noah was 5 years old, had brown eyes like his father, and light black hair.

And then there was Todd, he was a tall man taller than Nick, olive green eyes, and shit brown eyes. Todd was Ella's fiancé who knew about Nicks past problems and his treatment of his failed marriage. Because of this he hated Nick for who he was and whenever he could throw an insult and when he couldn't he told Ella instead. Nick couldn't do anything about it but take it all in.

"Hey kids!" Nick said excitedly, kneeling Nick took the impact of his sprinting kids into his arms. Hugging his kids tightly Nick felt his heart race and body warm upon holding his kids, looking up from he saw Ella smiling with Todd behind her glaring swords at Nick. Standing up he approached his ex-wife and an intense feeling of awkwardness made everything uncomfortable, "Well... how's work?" Ella asked breaking the awkward silence, "Its uh well, its firefighter work so long and tiring but that's okay cause I get to spend the weekend with these knuckleheads", Nick said ruffling Astrids hair making the girl laugh.

"Yeah, yeah you kids have a good weekend now shoo" Todds tone was half and half, nice and gentle to the kids but rude and harsh to Nick. Ella gave a noticeable slap on the arm which Todd responded with a shrug.

Saying goodbye to his ex-wife, Nick got into his truck with his kids and drove out of the house's driveway. "Dad, what are we going to do this weekend!" Noah grabbed the driver's headrest, "Hm, I don't know, what would you guys like?" Nick asked readying his ears for the answer he already knew.

"THE PARK!!" The kids screamed, Nick hunched forward cringing at the deafening scream, bursting into a hearty laugh Nick mentally made mark for the park. Their neighborhood park was large, the playhouses large and tall, rows of swing sets, and tons of physical equipment for the kids. Once there at the park, the kids could barely contain themselves damn near ready to jump out the truck while it was still moving. Nick couldn't hide the smile that he loved every second of. "Calm yourselves children" he said unlocking the doors to the truck and out rushed them tugging on their father.

Entering the park, Nick reminded them to be careful and not walk off with some random person. Sitting on a park bench Nick watched his kids disappear into the ocean of running kids, leaning back Nick took a refreshing deep breath and gazed up at the cloudless blue sky watching a plane leave behind contrails while on its way to an unknown destination. Closing his eyes, Nick entered his mind and the screaming and laughing children and adults chatting loudly became a mere soothing hum in his mind.

Ella and Nick sat diagonal to each other at the dinner table, it was just them awake, Astrid and Noah were fast asleep in their rooms. Nick rested his head on fist and had a devastated look on his face and Ella let a tear stream down her face as she tapped the divorce papers in between the couple.

"I'm sorry Ella, I deserve this" Nick said sadly, Ella clenched her hand into a fist in anger but contained it, "Yes... yes you do Nick, you deadbeat son of a bitch" Ellas words hurt Nick, but she was right. Ella took a deep breath and rubbed her forehead, "We have to Nick, do it for our kids" Nick nodded, "Will I be able to see them?" he asked, and Ella nodded reluctantly, "When?". Nick thought for a moment, work was getting tight, but the weekends were his days off, but if it meant wasting his time to relax and rest to see his kids, he didn't mind one bit. "The weekends will work" Ella nodded and took a mental note. The moment Nick had been dreading the entire time, Ella picked up the pen and signed the paper without a second thought then she handed the pen to Nick who stared at it like it was a loaded gun. "I'm so sorry Ella" Nick said for the thousandth time today, touching the pen felt like hot metal but he pushed on and signed the paper with the heaviest heart on earth.