Chapter 13: Not Anymore Part 3

3rd Person POV

5 Years Ago

Ethan tapped the side of the beer in front of him waiting for his buddy to show up and it'll be the first time the duo would see each other in person again. Nick was at firefighting academy and Ethan was training to fly his F-35A which he had completed with flying colors and Nick just got done graduating from firefighting academy. To dress nicely for the occasion, Ethan wore his Air Force officers dress uniform complete with a blue tie, service cap with the seal of the United States on the front, Miller nametag, second lieutenant rank insignia on the shoulders and coat, and the USAF pilot badge on the coat. His uniform earned him curious looks from others in the bar.

Looking at the glass door he saw the shape of someone wearing a firefighter dress uniform, on his head was a white fire bell uniform hate, the coat was a double-breasted blouse coat underneath a white dress shirt with a black tie and the seal of the Houston Fire Department on his arms, on the left side of his chest was his firefighter badge, black dress pants, and shiny black dress shoes. Nick walked inside the bar and like Nick had sonar spotted Ethan easily.

"There he is, Nick my man" Ethan said standing from the booth and they embraced each other in a great big hug, "Howdy do Ethan?" Nick asked, taking off his hat and sitting down. "Fantastic man, I'm flying the F-35A now my life is complete" Ethan said beaming with happiness, "Get with Angie next then your life is completed" Nick joked. Ethan threw a crumbled-up napkin at Nick who laughed.

"You really dressed up for today?" Nick asked Ethan, admiring his dress uniform internally, "You did too, I like yours very nice and sleek".

"Probationary Firefighter Nick Rhein" Ethan raised his hands in an imaginary motion, "Has a nice ring to it man... gosh it only feels like yesterday we were younger, now you're a firefighter, you're already a father, and you're getting married to Ella soon" Ethan said making Nick unable to hide a super bright smile that could destroy even the saddest thing in the world.

"And Second Lieutenant Ethan Miller has a nice ring to it too, got to tell Angie how you feel and catch up with me" Nick said making them laugh together.

Present

BEEP

BEEP

BEEP

The alarm awakened the sleeping firefighters and they dashed into action like always; Nick got inside his favorite red fire truck, Engine 1 for the last time.

"This is a big one everyone, it's a five-alarm fire at the industrial district" Norman informed his men, Nick was going to miss Normans voice. The Engine and Ladder truck rolled out the bay and into the quiet night of Houston.

Nick looked out the window and enjoyed the view because tonight was the night he would die.

Taking his phone out of his pocket, Nick opened his and Ethan's messages and started typing away, tears staining his eyes as he said everything he wanted to say to his best friend. He was lucky that Hiryu was too focused on the scenery passing by to notice was Nick was doing. Finishing his message, he pondered for a moment whether he wanted to send his message or maybe change a few words before he sends it, but Nick's mind was made up and he sent his message. Putting his phone away, he got to work on getting his SCBA on and tightly after that Nick looked out the window and watched his home pass by in a blur, memories bombarded his mind and he almost cried but he contained himself till his final moments.

Ethan's POV

I couldn't sleep, for hours I tossed and turned in my bed trying to fall asleep. Whenever I do close my eyes, I see those Iranian pilots hovering over me with inhumanly wide eyes, it scares me and it's not easy when I'm alone without Angie by my side. A sudden light illuminated the walls of my bedroom and a violent buzz from my phone interrupted the silence.