Chapter 5: Middle East

3rd Person POV

Ellington Field Joint Reserve Base

12:35 PM

Floodlights filled the tarmac, illuminating the 400 airmen waiting to be deployed, the 500 family and friends saying goodbye, and the four C-17 Globemasters III being prepped for deployment. Standing amongst the airmen, was Ethan dressed in his Air Force ABU and a black tactical backpack filled with all his essentials, standing in front of Angie and Nick who came in his station uniform.

All the airmen were given a few minutes to say goodbye and whatever else, so Ethan needed to be quick. Pulling his friend into a hug, from Nicks perspective it was a relieving feeling because his careless side was completely powerless in refusing him any feelings. He cherished the feeling for as long as it lasted. From Nicks, he wondered if this would be the last time he would physically see and hug his friend, he wanted Nick to be there for so many things yet to happen and he wanted to see Nick accomplish many things. "You'll come back home right, buddy?" Nick asked, making Ethan huff, "It's war, no promises Nick" Nick smiled and patted Ethans back whispering a "I know" before letting go.

Then came the hard part, saying goodbye to Angie. Just the day before, Ethan thought hard about whether he should tell her how he felt but realized that it would be a dumb idea to confess then leave for an unknown period of time. "Please be safe" Angie said grabbing Ethans hands, the sensation of her touch made Ethan want to tell her right then and there, but he had to hold it back. "I can't promise that Angie, there are no promises in war" Ethan said reluctantly, as much as he wished there were there isn't and never will be. "All airmen line up!" the commanding officers yelled signaling it was time to go.

Angie wasted no time and hugged her best friend tighter than ever; Ethan returned the gesture feeling like his arms were being welded to her not ever wanting to let go. As Nick watched on, he smiled seeing their obvious feelings for each other but none making a move, Nick hoped that Ethan would tell her when he got back home, while he was thinking that he felt his loneliness and sadness sneak up on him, he wondered if he would ever get to experience the love from a significant other again, but his negative side told him otherwise.

Ethan and Angie let each other go, with equal hesitation, looking down at their hands Ethan gently pulled his hands away with Angie doing the same, it was harder than it seemed to let each other go. Turning to walk away, Ethan felt his whole-body tense and his heart ache, he wanted to run back and stay.

He could not and he knew that clearly.

Walking up the steps that led inside the C-17, he stopped at the doorway for a moment to wave to his friends one last time. Then disappeared inside the plane.

The friends and families of the airmen were kept a safe distance away from the aircraft. The four C-17s taxied down to the runway where they waited for a moment then full throttled down the runway and off to the Middle East. Nick and Angie watched with heavy hearts Ethans plane lift off the ground and follow the other three east.

Now that the airmen were off on their own to fight in a war that gambled with their lives, the friends and families had no other choice but to go home. "How's Ella doing?" Angie made small talk with Nick as they walked back to their cars, "She's doing pretty good, I can't tell you everything because I barely talk to her, but she seems very happy with her life and that's all that matters" Angie hummed ignoring the obviously depressing response, "How about those kids of yours, Astrid and Noah, right?" Angie continued, Nick nodded with a smile, "Yep that's them, greatest bundle of joys in the world, Astrid and Noah are also doing great however they hate the divide between me and Ella" Nick said shaking his head and exhaling, "But it's the way it is now, doesn't change anything I'm still going to be in their lives whether Todd likes it or not"