Chapter 3: Somethings Wrong with Me

3rd Person POV

3 Years Ago

"Engine 1 and Ladder 1, high rise commercial fire, downtown Houston"

The station's alarm spoke, the feminine electronic voice echoing through the station. Nick slid down the pole and dashed to his cubby, throwing his boots off he shoved his feet into his second pair of boots and turnout pants. Tightening the suspenders, he swung on his turnout coat with Houston FD on the back and Rhein on the bottom, zipping it up and sealing the Velcro. Grabbing his helmet with Firefighter on the top, 7 in the middle for Station 7, and Houston the bottom, he swung open the door to Engine 1 and jumped inside, closing the door he looked at Alli next to him with Hiryu in front of him both putting their bulky arms through the SCBA harness and tightening them. Norman in the passenger seat putting his headset on while talking to Anthony, being our chauffeur, starting the truck. Engine 1's loud engine shook the whole engine and with the large garage door open, the trucks began to pull out of the bay and into the night.

(Song: Fighting 17th from Backdraft)

Engine 1 and Ladder 1 rolled out the bay, their sirens screaming to life, especially Anthony holding down on the horn. Thanks to the headsets they wore the sound didn't exactly bother the firefighters but for people on the streets it was deafening.

Like the wind the trucks zoomed down the city streets, weaving through cars in the way and blaring the horn for people not paying attention.

"Listen up, this is a big one, 10 story tall apartment building, floors 10 through 8 are all on fire" Norman said over the headset, "Any people trapped inside captain?" Alli asked, "Possibly but we're not certain so we need to work fast when we get there, Nick, Hiryu, and Alli you're taking the ladder and ventilating the roof" the firefighter nodded, Norman continued on, but Nick stopped listening instead a ringing sound replaced the sirens, air horns, and talking that he loved. He gazed out the window, feeling a sinking feeling in his stomach, this is the largest fire he has ever been to and will for his entire career.

A few minutes later, Engine and Ladder 1 arrived on scene of the towering inferno, 10 story apartment building with the 10th, 9th, 8th, 7th floors completely ablaze. This was an all-hands fire, Engines and Ladders lined the street, police cars kept people back, paramedics and firefighters helped smoke and burn victims, news vans and helicopters covered the scene. Engine 1 and Ladder 1 parked and like lightning everyone jumped out with their SCBAs, and helmets strapped to them, with their assignments assigned to everyone they dashed for their equipment.

Nick grabbed a pike poll, Hiryu a chainsaw and Alli grabbed a Halligan. Getting their equipment, they rushed to Ladder 1, and the firefighters of Ladder 1 were already in the process of preparing the ladder truck. Extending the stabilizer legs to keep the truck and ladder stable, the operator controlling the ladder lifted the ladder, swung it to the right, and extended it to where it touched the edge of the roof. While they were waiting Nick, Hiryu, and Alli took off their helmets and put on their masks, pulled their flash hoods over their heads covering their ears, necks, and heads in general, and put on their gloves. Putting their helmets back on making sure to click the straps, they turned on their SCBA air tanks making a rapid clicking sound. Finally, they clipped on their regulators taking a deep breath of oxygen.

With the ladder in place and stable, they began their climb up the ladder. Going up Nicks breathing became heavy as he hyperventilated, looking down he saw all the firefighters rushing inside the building, water streams from other ladder trucks and from the top of trucks entered windows, a party of blue and red lights spun around and around, the helicopters blades slapping in the wind as they circled around the site, and the flames trapped inside the building stared at him through the windows. Taking deep breaths and thinking of happy thoughts he calmed himself just enough to work.