Chapter One

I was around five years old when I first started seeing them. I remember the first time so vividly that it sometimes appears in my dreams. I was in preschool at the time, in the middle of playing zombie tag with my friends. I was laughing and having a great time. Until I slipped. I fell, tumbling down into the grass.

Then I saw it. When I looked up it was towering above me. It had the face of a man but the features of something completely different. The humanoid creature had fangs for teeth and horns on the top of its head. The long black cloak it wore swept gracefully off to the side as it stared down at me. "Careful," it said with a smirk.

As I took in this monstrosity before me, I realized one very peculiar thing. It seemed to be waiting for me to say something. So I did. "Mister, what are you?" Five-year-old me had decided that since it looked male, this must be the case. The creature in black observed me, almost as if I were a fascinating object.

"I am an ogre, young seer. The first of many you will see." He spoke softly, almost as if he didn't want to frighten me. His features were hard but his eyes were kind.

"Seer," I repeated slowly. "Seer. What is a seer? Did you come from the sky? I didn't see you before so you must have fallen from the sky. Did it hurt when you fell?" The man-creature chuckled before replying.
"A seer is one who can see things that most people can't." He paused. "And no, I did not fall from the sky."

"But I already could see things. Like how I can see you."

"You are the only one here that is able to see me. In time you will begin to see others too. Spirits, goblins, nymphs...the list goes on." This blew my mind.

"NOBODY can see you? Only me? What about Jason and Emma and Jazmin?" I pointed to a few of my friends who were now staring at me. A ringing filled the air, sounding like wind chimes.

"Yes, little one; but there are others you need to find. Now I must go. The winds are calling me." With a swish of his cape and a flash of light, he was gone. And so was my ability to blend in with those around me.

Word Count: 403

I've had so many ideas about this story so I'm super excited to be putting it into words. Happy reading!

-RS <3