Chapter 5

"Hey," Beige said, waking Jellyfish up. She was still laying on the couch, and her notes had fallen on the floor.

     "What are these?" Beige asked, and pointed at the notes and scroll that was unrolled across the floor.

     "Oh- nothing, just studying." Jellyfish said, sliding off the couch and rolling up the scroll, and sliding the paper with notes closer to her with her tail.

      "Studying?" Beige said, raising an eyebrow. "Didn't you just graduate?"

      Jellyfish resisted the urge to facepalm. Nice one. "I'm just curious about NightWing powers, on how they work and all." That wasn't totally a lie, too.

     "Ah," he said, nodding, a little slowly. "That is one of Pyrrhia's greatest mysteries,"

     "Yeah," Jellyfish said, wiping her sweaty palms on her sides in what she thought was a casual way. "What's up?"

     "I was wondering if you wanted to go on a night patrol with me. You're rested, and I'll be heading out soon." He said, crossing over to where the kettle sat on the kitchen counter. "Since Mirage and Antelope have moved out, I thought you and I should spend some family time together before you leave the nest too. Also, you might like this job."

     "Maybe," Jellyfish said, leaning over the back of the couch with a yawn. It would take her mind off the events of earlier today with Aconi and Rosetta.

    Shit! I hope Aconi is okay.

    ...And Rosetta. Aconi is a little feisty.

    "Well," Beige said, filling the kettle with water. "If you are coming, I'd suggest moving around a bit so you aren't sore."

    "Why would I be sore?" Jellyfish said, getting off the couch.

    "We move around. Like a lot," he said. "I get sore some days, and I've been doing this for a long time."

    "Sure, I'll come," Jellyfish said, standing up. 

    It was awful, and probably one of the worst times of Jellyfish's life, placing a little lower than the Last Day on an awfulness scale. It wasn't that she was lazy or unfit, but she was having a very hard time catching her breath.

    It was also the first time Jellyfish had been on the surface in a long time. There wasn't a need to. It also made her depressed. The needles and sap on the pine trees stuck to her scale and mud was caked around her talons and underbelly. 

    Jellyfish came to a huffing stop once Jackpine, the dragon who was leading the patrol. He passed a jug of water around and Jellyfish watched it, thirsty.

    "Well," Beige asked, looking quite unfazed by the giant dried glob of mud on his snout. "How you like it?"

    "To be honest," Jellyfish said, leaning against a tree stump. They, about ten of them, were hiding under the lower branches of two fat pine trees. She watched as a little brown spider spindled down off a branch, and a tiny silvery thread trailed behind it. "It's quite the workout, I guess."

    Jackpine laughed a barking laugh. "You'll be in good shape in no time." He tossed the jug of water towards Jellyfish, and she caught it with slippery talons.

    A loud rumble of thunder cracked in the air, and Jellyfish groaned. "Rain? Really?" But to her surprise, lots of dragons were quietly whooping and high-fiving each other. She looked at Beige. "Why are you cheering?"

     "Less cleaning later!" He said gleefully. "While it's muddier, by standing out in the rain for a minute or two blasts it all off you. Also, we don't have to be as cautious."