I

CHAPTER 1:

SERENA TOMA:

POUNDING is heard on my bedroom door, waking me up alarmed. Now being aware of my surroundings once again.

I groan as I hear my foster father yell from the other side of the door,"Get the fuck up! You got to take your sisters to school, and if there late you know what happens!"

I get out of the bed, almost getting shitfaced from my foot getting stuck in the bedsheets. I also hear William, my foster father utter one more thing from outside through the thin door and walls before returning downstairs,"Gosh. Do i have to do everything around here? Lazy little bitch."

I roll my eyes at the use of his words knowing he doesn't do a single thing here or outside the house. He barely even works and when he does he comes back acting like a little bitch going after everybody because they think there on top of the fucking world.

Fuck, I didn't get any sleep last night. Probably an hour I would say like usual. All I did was stay awake with my thoughts pounding in my head, keeping me up and alert, eyes wide awake staring at the white ceiling above me. That's all I did. All night. And, I couldn't do anything because the constant headache I would get everytime I tried closing my eyes came back, showing the memories of my past, showing things I didn't want to see, despite me trying to push them to the back of my head and not want to see them again. But, it's harder than it sounds when you remember every single thing you see.

I throw some navy blue nike sweats on, a white sweatshirt, white long socks with my tanish yeezy slides--one of the foster family's I had got me awhile back.

My backpack is already put together with all my books, computer, and papers for class along with my phone charger. So, all I gotta do is wash my face, brush my teeth and hair.

I slowly walk to the squished bathroom that's inside my bedroom. I can't complain though, before I rarely ever got my own bathroom. When no families want me I go back to the house I share with lots of other girls amd guys. You get used to it after awhile, I got used to it after two years knowing that I couldn't do anything, I wasn't gonna leave anytime soon because who wants the 10 year old girl that cried almost every night from nightmares? Who would want that burden on there shoulders? So, I got used to sharing a tight bathroom with groups of people.

I grab the small black hairbrush that sits against the counter basically hitting my head trying to brush the harsh tangles that lay in this disaster called hair. Ugly groans leave my lips as the hits against my own hair get harder.

Once, I'm done I quickly brush my teeth and wash my face. I put deordent on before leaving the small bathroom, grabbing my bag slouching it over my shoulder and putting my phone inside my pocket along with my keys.

I knock on the twins girls bedroom door before walking in and telling them softly,"Luciana, Nalani, its time to go."

They smile at me lightly nodding before grabbing there backpacks that make them look so much smaller, basically swallowing them whole. These girls are precious.

They each grab one of my hands, holding onto it while we walk downstairs and go outside to my full black Suburban.

I open the back door that was unlocked lifting Nalani inside, her walking to the other side of the car to her carseat booster just as I lift Luci' into hers.