Chapter 13

Cobalt sat down in homeroom and didn't say anything to anyone. He didn't look at Monty, he didn't look at me, he didn't even acknowledge that Bonnie was standing right in front of his desk. After last night's event, he took it upon himself to stay in Aunt Hazel's living room. Aunt Hazel ushered me to my room upstairs and left me there alone. I could hear her making tea in the kitchen as Cobalt broke down and cried for what seemed like the first time in a long long time.

That's when I watched the video of the fight, 6:34 at night, I finally got around to watching that stupid video. It went a little something like this...

Tora was upset because Cobalt had dated Bonnie all the way back in their Sophomore year. Cobalt made Bonnie look bad in front of the whole school. So, Tora, decides to shove Cobalt against the lockers and repetitively punch his cute, handsome face. Many students crowded around taking pictures and videos and started posting the video on social media and it spread like wildfire. The principal eventually found out about the fight and called Cobalt and his dad down to the office, then Tora. Luckily, Cobalt only had to stay for an after school detention not a whole two week suspension, unlucky Tora.

Homeroom went as usual, I got around to telling Monty about my story for my English class and he helped me write a very detailed description of a chicken and a fox.

"So Monty, you said you have two dads, right?" I asked quietly, even though this was a free time class where we did homework, we still had to maintain an inside voice, which to Mrs. Lanigera is a whisper. I also wanted to keep in mind that Monty may not be the most comfortable talking about his home life as well.

"Well, I had a mom beforehand, but she passed away," Monty started, "then my dad met his husband and they were inseparable after that."

"May I ask what your mom was like?" I asked curiously.

"Of course, Mac, my mother was open to change and accepted everyone for who they wanted to be, even Cobalt's dad. My mom was a full time daydreamer and had an active imagination. No wonder she took up painting as a hobby."

"Wow! Your mom was an artist! All I can draw are these little stick animals," I said. I wondered if Monty was also an artist.

"Well, I get my writing from my dad, he collects and sells books, he's currently writing about teenagers of today's world, he's interviewed a few teenagers, including yours truly," Monty said with a hint of self-absorption.

Cobalt finally spoke up jokingly, "That's probably why your mom fell in love with your dad."

Monty winced his eyes in amusement and let out a snort of laughter.

"So what's life like on the farm?" Cobalt asked me, his deep blue eyes distracted me from my writing homework.

"Well, y-you see it's a very s-simple life," I said not realizing that this room felt like a million degrees. Ever since last night Cobalt has been acting kind of funny around me, I don't know if it was embarrassing for him or not.

"Sorry, this week started off super, well... dumb," Cobalt replied, "I shouldn't have tried clawing my way through this week."

"Cobalt, you absolute mastermind," Monty responded, "I think you did a great job sticking up for yourself."

Cobalt let out a bit of nervous laughter then lowered his head down on his arms on the desk. I felt a relaxed sigh of relief come from him and watched his deep blue eyes gaze back onto me.

I watched as Monty adjusted his glasses and grabbed his backpack from the ground, he wore a full array of colorful sweaters each and every day, it mostly just covered up his scrawny arms. Most birds I've met tend to have an arm or leg in a cast or even missing limbs, birds tend to be small and very weak, except for eagles and other big birds like hawks, crows, ravens, etc.

At the end of every class period, students tend to crowd the doorway, most teachers would ignore this sort of behavior, but Mrs. Lanigera cautioned all of us that, "Standing near the door is a hazard," she let us out of class five minutes late because we were "misbehaving." Cobalt, Monty, and I were some of the last to leave the classroom, Bonnie's sharp green eyes stabbing our backs as we left the room. No one seemed to notice she was behind us making some witty remark.

Cobalt insisted that we just keep on walking and ignore Bonnie. My heart aches at the fact that he doesn't turn around and scold Bonnie, but... it's not like I can do that either or Monty. As a matter of a fact, no one can do anything about Bonnie. I don't want to upset her because of what happened to her brother, but-

"Hey, Mac, can I talk to you?" I heard a mildly upset, but yet suspicious voice behind me.

Cobalt's eyes widened with shock and his jaw dropped as we all turned around. We were in the commons of the high school and now being approached by the pink bunny with her hands on her hips.