Chapter 10

John followed Marlena into her therapist's office, looking around at the classic decor. The walls were a soft gray matte, lined with bookshelves. The windows were covered in flowered curtains with matching shades. It was darkened for their visit, with the shades drawn, and lamps lit in the corners casting a soft warm glow, but John imagined that it was normally bright given the amount of windows. He'd found Marlena's therapist through Dr. Whitney Baker at Salem University Hospital. She'd gone to school with Dr. Vellanki, and highly recommended her. John hadn't explained the circumstances, and Dr. Baker hadn't asked any questions. He'd only said that he needed a therapist in the Seabrook area who would be able to work with someone suffering from severe trauma.

Since Dr. Vellanki's office was at the rear of her house, Marlena led him around to the side entrance. She rang the buzzer, and then glanced at John warily. He'd always dropped her off. Having him standing beside her was nerve wracking. Marlena almost sighed with relief, when Dr. Vellanki opened the door with a gentle smile on her face.

Stepping forward she extended her hand, "It's nice to meet you, John. Marlena has told me a lot about your extraordinary lives over the last two weeks." Dr. Vellanki was medium height, with long dark hair that seemed to throw off hints of red when she turned in the light. She was soft spoken, with inquisitive dark eyes that made you feel as if she knew your innermost thoughts.

He took her offered hand, "There's a lot to unpack there, for sure."

Gesturing them inside, she said softly, "You can go ahead, and have a seat beside Marlena if you would like."

He glanced over, and saw that the sofa was a decent size, and it wouldn't force him to be closer to her than she was used to. He turned to make sure Marlena was behind him, "Doc?"

She simply nodded stiffly, and watched as he sat down. He'd sat in the middle. Her eyes caught his, and she realized if they were going to be doing TTT, John was starting now. She could feel the heat of his body rolling off of his body as she settled beside him. It made her nervous, but then she closed her eyes. Taking a long slow breath, she realized that she could also breathe him in, and that calmed her.

Dr. Vellanki watched Marlena for a few moments, and then turned her attention towards John. "Did Marlena mention what your purpose here was for today?"

John saw that Marlena's eyes were closed, and he was aware that she was calming herself down, and breathing in his cologne. To Dr. Vellanki, he said, "She mentioned she needed to practice touch therapy, and she asked me if I'd be willing. Here I am."

The doctor was reading his body movements and his tone of voice. He seemed slightly nervous, which she expected. He seemed willing to help the women beside him, but still she asked him, "Are you comfortable with that?"

John glanced over to find Marlena looking at him, and without breaking eyes contact he said tenderly, "I'm willing to do anything she needs right now."

"Why is that?" Dr. Vellanki asked him. John looked at her abruptly, and she continued, saying, "Why are you willing to do anything for her? I think it might help her to hear your reasoning."

John looked at Marlena again. Her eyes were wide, the hazel color always seemed to pull him in. "Because I love her, Dr. Vellanki." The smile that came over her face was what he lived for every day, so he said again, "Because I love you."

Dr. Vellanki turned to Marlena, "Marlena? How does it feel to hear him say that he loves you? I know we have discussed this before and you were hesitant."

Unable to look away from John, she whispered, "It makes me happy...and it scares me to death. It–it scares me quite a bit actually."

"Why does it scare you?" Dr. Vellanki asked her carefully. She already knew why, but she wanted Marlena to verbalize those emotions for John.