Chapter 7

The house was beautiful. John had only seen photographs which had been sent to him via overnight mail, but as soon as he'd seen them, he'd decided the home was perfect. Money wasn't an object. Running EcoSystems and turning it into one of the most successful companies in the world made that possible. It was set on a small hill right inside a bay, so it was protected from the harshest winds. It was large. Probably too large. The side facing the water was floor to ceiling windows, from which you had 360 degree views. The natural light was amazing, and it had been one of the reasons John had fallen in love with it. The living area was an open concept combined with the kitchen, and a huge fireplace. The realtor he'd worked with had assured him that the property was one of the best in the area. Wooden steps led down to the private beach below, but the house also had a pool for use in the summer, and a pool house. It had more bedrooms than they would ever need. He'd decided on the flight to Washington that he would offer Marlena and Avi the master bedroom, and he would take another room by himself. Bo and Hope would be able to figure out their arrangements.

Although they'd arrived midmorning, everyone was exhausted. John was grateful that he'd thought ahead and had already arranged for clothing for Marlena, Avi, and Hope to be delivered to the house, as well as toiletries. The realtor had been more than willing to get the house live-in ready before their arrival. After the drive from the airport, John had carried a sleeping Marlena in the house, while Hope had carried Avi. In less than a half hour, they were all asleep.

John woke around 4:00 pm, and made his way down the hallway, towards the kitchen. He was starving, and he'd been such a mess the day before he couldn't remember eating anything past a quick breakfast that consisted of black coffee and a granola bar. As he was entering the kitchen, he heard a small voice behind him, and the patter of little feet, "Papà?"

"Hey there, Avi," John said softly, kneeling down, staring into the same face he must have possessed as a child. "Is your Mama still asleep?" Avi nodded his head, and continued to stare at his father with wide-eyes. He was such a quiet child. John stood up, reaching for his son's hand, "I was going to make some food. Are you hungry?" Again, Avi gave him a nod in the affirmative, and John smiled. He might be quiet, but his eyes were bright, and they were observant. "What kind of food do you like to eat?" Avi simply stared at him, so John decided he was going to make Sami and Eric's favorite dinner. "Did your Mama tell you that you have a brother and sister? They're twins." Avi shook his head yes, still staring at John as if he hung the moon. "I'm going to make us their favorite dinner, would you like that? So, have you ever had tomato soup and grilled cheese?" Shaking his head no, the boy followed John into the kitchen, and allowed John to put him up on a stool near the kitchen island. "Now, I'm going to need a helper though. Can you be my kitchen helper?" Avi nodded his head yes, and John sighed softly. Leaning down so that they were on the same level, John whispered, "You know, son, you can say yes and no. I'd like it if you wanted to talk to me."

Avi watches him for a moment. He's scared. His Papà is so nice to him. He wants him to stay nice. He said quietly, "I don't want to be too loud."

"Too loud? Kids are supposed to be loud. Otherwise, how would I know if you're having any fun? Huh?" He smiled, "Don't worry. You won't be too loud, and you won't make me mad, because I want to know what you're thinking," John said, pulling cheese and butter from the fridge. He tossed a loaf of bread on the counter, and then searched the pantry for canned tomato soup. "Besides, you have to talk if you're going to be my kitchen helper, okay?"

"Okay," Avi whispered, watching his father as he moved around the kitchen.

John heard another door open and close at the other end of the hall, and looked up to see a disheveled Shawn-D, running towards them at breakneck speed, "Unca John! I thought evry'body was sleepin'!""