Chapter 22

Carrie had just finished getting Eric ready for bed. She yawned widely, rubbing at her eyes. It was past time to get them into bed, but she'd been trying to finish up her biology assignment for a class she had the next day at nine o'clock in the morning. She finished rinsing out the tub, and started new bathwater for Sami. Roman was working late yet again, and as hard as it was on her, those were the nights that were the easiest. Roman's presence seemed to add a layer of tension to everything. Carrie poured some Mr. Bubble into the tub just as Sami entered the bathroom. "Strip," she told her sister. "And then go ahead, and get in the tub. I put in some bubbles, so you feel fancy."

"I love fancy baths!" Sami said excitedly, removing her shirt. She was tired. She'd gotten in trouble at school again, and then she'd cried in the school counselor's office for almost a half hour. When that happened she was tired for the rest of the day. She hadn't told Carrie yet, but she knew that her teacher had already tried to call Roman. He didn't return her call. Sami hoped he didn't. She looked up at Carrie, saying softly, "I got in trouble again... at school."

Carrie looked into Sami's blue eyes, "What happened?"

"Kyle Heath said I don't know who my daddy is, 'cause I think Daddy is my Daddy, and I think Roman isn't. Kyle said... he said I'm dumb." Sami started to push her pants down, but then stopped. "I'm not dumb. I know who my Daddy is, so I hit him in the face with a basketball."

"Sami," Carrie said softly. "We've talked about this. I know it's upsetting, especially because you're so young and you don't understand everything, but you can't lash out everytime someone says something hurtful."

Sami's eyes took on a fierce glow when she said, "I know who my Daddy is and it's not him!"

Pulling her sister into her arms, there was nothing Carrie could say besides, "I know." She leaned back, looking at Sami's tear filled eyes, "Did they call him?"

"Yeah, but he didn't answer." Sami stood back and finished undressing, preparing to get into the bathtub. "Do I need to apologize to Kyle Heath?"

"If Kyle Heath is anything like his sister, Melissa... then no." Carrie knew she should probably tell Sami to apologize, or something in that vein, but she didn't want to. The kid sounded horrible, and as long as Roman never mentioned it, she was going to let it go. As Sami was getting into the tub, a flash of color caught Carrie's eye. She glanced over, and noticed that Sami had bruises on her arm, bruises from someone's fingers. Kneeling next to the tub, Carrie lifted Sami's arm, noting bruising underneath it as well. Someone had grabbed her, hard. Carrie's voice shook as she said, "Sami? What happened to your arm?"

She looked down into the bubbles, and whispered, "I made him mad. He got mad, 'cause I said John was my Daddy."

And that was why she got so angry with the boy at school, because she'd already argued with Roman about it. "When did this happen?"

"This morning," Sami said softly. "He was yelling at Eric... 'cause Eric threw up again, and I–I said that my Daddy wouldn't do that, and he - then he shook me."

Carrie felt tears sting her eyes, "Why didn't you tell me earlier?"

Sami felt sick, and her stomach started hurting. She wrapped her arms around herself, and whispered, "I don't know. I won't say it again."

Carrie stared at Sami for a moment, and then said firmly, "Sami, you have to tell me when this happens. This isn't okay. You understand that, don't you? He has no right to hurt you."

The girl shrugged, "He's done it before... I just gotta keep quiet. That's what Eric said."

Carrie was scared, and didn't know what to do. Her stomach felt wavy, and she realized her heart was slamming in her chest. Her voice wavered as she asked, "He's hurt you before?"