TWELVE.

originally published october 9, 2022

pairing: knight!steven grant x fem!princess!reader x knight!marc spector x knight!jake lockley

series summary: you were a princess who would rather be anything but a royal; he was the knight her father forced her to marry—a true match made in hell if there ever was one. but, as the wedding inches closer and closer, it seems that, perhaps, your father had finally done something right by you.

chapter summary: the boys help you readjust.

word count: 4,327

warnings?: a little angsty, a little fluffy, nonsexual nudity, pet name (dove), not proofread

Steven was grateful that you didn't need to spend very much time in the hospital. When you were rescued, you looked (and he meant this will all the love in his heart) rough. He worried about the extent of your injuries, that Harrow caused far more harm to you than Steven would have expected. When you reached the hospital, though, the doctors found that you had a few broken ribs, a concussion, and other minor wounds. Though, the relief Steven felt was relatively short-lived.

After you had been discharged, Steven became all too aware that your real wounds went much deeper than what the doctors at the hospital could diagnose you with. It was clear as day when he looked you in the eyes, saw the way they seemed to look just past everything around you. He knew that look all too well. He often saw it when Marc fronted, when Marc was confronted with the demons of their past. Steven had helped Marc work through those issues. And Steven swore, now, he would help you, too.

You, Steven, and Layla took a private elevator up to your hotel room. Despite everything, Benjamin was still king, and so your home was no longer safe for you. So, you still had to retire to the room given to you. As you passed through the threshold of the door, Steven saw the way your eyes became more glazed over, the way your shoulders slumped just a little more. Out in the real world, even after all that had happened in the last few days, in the last few weeks, you still had to hold a calm, collected composure in public. Here, in the safety of the four walls, you didn't have to pretend to be okay. So you didn't.

When you walked into the room, you made a beeline for the windows. Before Steven had a chance to ask you what you were doing, you had grabbed the curtains, tugging them across the floor-to-ceiling windows. Instantly, the room was cloaked in darkness. Steven spared a glance at a large mirror on the wall, seeing Jake and Marc watch you.

Poor Dove, Jake said. He leaned forward, as if he could somehow get closer to you.

Do what it takes to make her happy, Steven, Marc said, turning his gaze toward him. I don't like it when she looks this sad.

Neither did Steven.

"I'm going to update the guards about the new procedures," Layla said to you. "Will you be fine here with just Steven?"