TWENTY-TWO.

originally published december 18, 2022

pairing: knight!steven grant x fem!princess!reader x knight!marc spector x knight!jake lockley

series summary: you were a princess who would rather be anything but a royal; he was the knight her father forced her to marry—a true match made in hell if there ever was one. but, as the wedding inches closer and closer, it seems that, perhaps, your father had finally done something right by you.

chapter summary: you escape death and you embrace love.

word count: 3,553

warnings?: fluff, an assassination attempt is thwarted, you get married, pet name (dove), not proofread

"Now, I know that most of your energy is being focused on planning the coronation, but I have to ask: When can we expect the wedding?" Karen asked

Marc looked at you, a rare smile taking over his face. "We haven't nailed anything down quite yet."

"We're considering a private ceremony with just close friends and family. If we do that, we'll probably have that ceremony before the coronation," you said. "After the coronation, we'll have a larger, more public ceremony."

Christine Everhart's face filled the screen as she rolled her eyes, pretending to gag. "Can you believe that? He's trying to deprive us of the Queen's wedding! I just know it was his idea."

Chess Roberts nodded in agreement. "The Queen always loved the public engagements. There's no way that she would have agreed to a private ceremony unless he forced it on her."

"I bet he was the one who made her do the interview anyways. He's just trying to save face, because the whole kingdom sees him for the lia—"

The TV screen suddenly turned black. You looked over your shoulder, seeing Marc hold the remote. His face was tinted red, his jaw clenched. You stood up, bundling your robe closer to your body, retying the knot that had loosened when you sat. Marc's breathing steadied as you crossed the room over to him.

You raised your hand, caressing his face. His skin was warm. Marc leaned into your touch, his eyes fluttering shut. "They don't know what they're saying. They're paid to gossip and lie and misconstrue the truth so that people tune in and listen to their bullshit. There's a reason they cut off the interview right before I said that the private ceremony was my idea. It doesn't fit into the false reality they're trying to construct."

"I wish people could only watch the interview in full," Marc muttered. "I hate when little clips get taken out of context."

"It was a risk we both knew of," you said. "If it means anything, I saw a lot more good than I did bad."

Karen's interview with you and Marc went live earlier that morning. As you had expected, a lot of people had a lot of opinions. Some good, some bad, a whole lot right in between. You tried to focus more on the good, though. It did you no good to look at the naysayers. They wouldn't change your opinion, your feelings. You loved your fiancés. The kingdom didn't need to understand that. The kingdom didn't get to dictate that.