XI. Deception

- - ┈┈∘┈˃̶༒˂̶┈∘┈┈ - -

"So this must be the infamous Cullen residence."

Alethea gazed around the room with little interest. The only ones in the room being her and the Cullen's. Most of the witnesses had left a while ago, that except for the Denali's, whom stood outside talking amongst each other.

"What do you think? Do you like it?" Alice asked.

"It's cozy." Alethea muttered.

She walked towards the large windows and looked out at the tree line. The sky was somber and murky. It reminded her of London. God, how she wanted to get out of there and return to the comfort of her home. The longer she stood there, the more her headache began to worsen.

Alethea could feel their peculiar eyes carefully watching her every move. She turned around and furrowed her eyes in confusion.
"What?" She bluntly asked.

"It's just that, um—" Alice stopped herself.

"It's just a shook for everyone to see you here again." Carlisle finished.

Alethea returned her attention back to the window. "I suppose so."

Alice nudged Edward with her elbow. He laughed quietly. "The girls have something they want to show you." He said suddenly.

Alice walked towards the stairs, motioning for Alethea to follow. She looked at her momentarily before reluctantly heading upstairs. Alice and Rosalie followed behind her. Alethea didn't know why she felt so negative. They had done nothing to her, yet their sole presence caused these feelings to emerge again. Perhaps it had been too soon to come back.

"This way." Alice spoke as she lead her to the attic.

Once they reached what Alethea assumed was the attic, Alice went to retrieve whatever surprise they had stored for her. The attic was full of old, tattered boxes. It was clear no one had really bothered to tidy up the place as she could see the mounts of dust sitting everywhere. Alice walked towards her with a medium sized box in her hands. Alethea arched a brow.

"We've had this for a while now—" Rosalie began,"—I think it's only appropriate to give it back."

Alethea's face remained muddled, oddly confused at what was inside the worn out box. Still, she took it from her hands. Alethea placed it on a table nearby and ripped off the single string of twine that wrapped around it. She opened the flaps and stopped herself shortly, her expression changing to sudden surprise.
It'd been so long since she last saw these things. It was as if her early childhood had been crammed into the old, ancient box. Alethea stared inside for a moment and then reached to grab the velvet box stacked on top. Her long fingernails played with the lock in front before unclamping it. The jewelry box held a tiny pearl necklace, hardly shimmering in the dim light of the room.