Chapter 43

NICHOLAS

I bounced my knee in anticipation, waiting for the call to come in. I knew it was a done deal. I just needed that one call to confirm it. I stiffened when I felt a warm hand on my shoulder, but then I remembered I had Giselle in here with me, so I relaxed.

"Good morning." She crawled up behind me, propping her chin on my shoulder.

"Morning. Hai dormito bene?"

"," she replied with a grin. "What are you nervous about?"

"How'd you know I was nervous?"

She shrugged. "Sensed the air around you. Well, aren't you?"

"Just a little," I admitted. If someone had told me months ago that I'd be discussing how I felt with Giselle, I'd have laughed in their face, but here we were, and for once, I didn't get the urge to clam up like I usually did with my family.

"What are you nervous about?" She asked again.

"Hold on." I grabbed my ringing phone off the bed, picking up the call. "Yeah."

"It's done," came the gruff voice on the other end of the line. "Turn on the news."

"Appreciate it."

"We even now?"

I resisted the urge to snort. "Don't bullshit me, Strauman. I just got you a promotion. If anything, you owe me one."

I didn't let him get a word in before I hung up.

"Do you think it's wise to keep a guy you have to threaten or blackmail on your payroll?" Giselle asked as I turned on the TV. "He has no loyalty toward you. He could fuck you over."

"Worried about my safety?" I teased, nipping at her bottom lip.

"I'm worried about mine and Cara's safety," she said, but she didn't sound as convincing as I expected her to be. Plus, her eyes gave her away. She gave a fuck about my safety.

"Mhm." I got lost in her eyes bright blue eyes momentarily until she gasped, turning her attention to the TV.

"You had Eduardo arrested?" She asked, her eyes wide with pure disbelief.

"Not just arrested. He's going to prison for a very fucking long time. His gig is over."

Her eyes swam with unshed tears. "You did that for me?"

"I wasn't fucking around when I said I wanted to make things right. I'll do anything to fix my fuck up, and part of it means sending scumbags to prison."

Eduardo was probably boiling with rage right now. Hell, he probably thought the Irish were responsible for this, and all I had to do was make a simple phone call. An extra perk was having a hacker on your side.

"Thank you. Really." She threw her arms around my neck, pressing her naked body against mine.

"You're welcome," I mumbled, threading my fingers through her silky hair, trying - and failing miserably - not to think about the way her breasts pressed against my arm.

She pushed my hair out of my face. "Let's go home, so I can attempt to make you some edible food."

"Or we could just order something," I suggested.

"Nonsense!" She hopped off the bed, her breast jiggling with the movements. "I'll go take a shower, and then we'll head back," she said firmly.

Who was I to say no when she looked sexy as fuck with that scowl on her face? "Whatever you want, dolcezza."