Chapter 48

NICHOLAS

"How's Elle?" Nicolo asked, leaning back in his chair with a smug smirk on his face.

Lucky for him, I had other urgent things to solve in front of me, or I'd have given in to the urge to crack a punch across his pretty boy face.

"Giselle is fine, no thanks to you," I grunted, letting my disdain for him show on my face. "It's not like some scumbag sexually assaulted her."

The smirk fell off his face instantly. "I'm sorry I left her alone at the party. Something came up, and I had to leave. She even urged me to."

Of course, she did. God forbid, she put herself first before others.

"If I'd known things would've turned out the way they did, I'd have stuck with her. I didn't expect Eduardo to pull a dumb stunt like that in front of those people."

"Let's not talk about it anymore, Nicolo." The last thing I needed was to lose my shit by replaying everything that happened at Gregorio's.

He nodded, curtly. "Just wanted to let you know I'm sorry. The last thing I want is for her to get hurt."

"Drop it already," I growled, scowling at him. What was his obsession with Giselle, anyway? I'd have to find a way to ask Giselle without sounding like a jealous asshole. "Are we done here?" I asked, ignoring his stupid grin.

"Yeah. You owe us a favor."

"I don't discuss business with little boys. Get your father here, and I'll talk to him."

It was his turn to glare at me. "Stronzo."

I flipped him off, flashing him a smug smirk of my own. "Pissed that I'm telling the truth, little boy?"

He rolled his eyes at me, pushing his chair back to stand. "Fuck you. You're only the head of your family because you shot your father, so don't get ahead of yourself here."

"Want a few pointers?"

He let out an exasperated sigh, shaking his head at me. "You're deranged if you think I'm killing my father. Given who your father is, I'm not surprised by how you turned out."

"That's not the dig you think it is, idiota. Why don't you run along and go whine to daddy?"

"Fucking pi..."

My shrill ringtone cut through the air, cutting him off. I reached for the device, my face twisting into a frown when the caller ID read unknown.

"Yes?" I barked into the phone.

"Nicholas Rossi. Long time," a gravelly voice slithered into my ear.

My brows bunched together in agitation. "Funny you say that. I don't know shit about you."

The man's tone turned impatient. "It's Marcello."

"Doesn't ring a bell." I was growing impatient by the second.

"Marcello Ferrari. Son of the man you threw behind bars."

"Marcello. That's a careless accusation to throw around. Don't go saying things if you don't have facts to back them up."

"Is that a threat?"

"Call it friendly advice, but then again, it's obvious we'll never be friends, so I'd say take it as a warning."

"A warning, huh? What the fuck are you gonna do?" He barked, his voice rising an octave higher.

I pulled the phone away from my ear, less than pleased that he felt the need to throw a tantrum at a time like this. "Why don't you go query the Irish? Heard daddy was messing with them before the cops nailed him down."