Chapter 8: Strong Connections

"Who's there?"

You hear Jonathan's voice call out as you trudged through long grass and you sent a quick glance to the others before running out into the open.

"Y/N?" Jonathan said, relief in his voice as he runs to you, pulling you into a hug.

You cherished the moment until your shoulder gave you a wake up call, making you hiss out in pain. Jonathan quickly steps back before noticing the bandage.

"How the hell do you always manage to wound yourself?" He asks with a half-hearted smile, a hint of worry in his eyes while he points accusingly at your shoulder.

"Oh that?" You shrug, wincing again. "Barely a scratch."

"Definitely more than a scratch." Steve comments as he steps through the clearing. He notices Nancy stood awfully close to Jonathan and his body tensed.

"Steve?" They both react with surprise, glancing between you both. Nancy raised her eyebrows as soon as the others filed in.

"Don't ask." You shake your head as Dustin runs up next you.

"What are you doing here?" Nancy asks, looking as if she had a million questions despite your request.

"What are you doing here?" Steve says, exasperated. You couldn't help feel a little bad for him in this moment. Nancy and Jonathan seemed closer than before; you just couldn't explain why.

"We're looking for Mike and Will." She states, stepping closer to him.

"They're not in there, are they?" Dustin nods towards the lab. You turn your head to the building, a trail of goosebumps leading down your skin just looking at it.

"We're not sure."

"Why?" Jonathans eyebrows furrow, looking to you for answers.

You open your mouth to explain when a loud screech echoes across the field. You freeze at the sound.

"What the hell was that?" Jonathan looks sick, frantically glancing back at the divider to the gate, willing it to open.

"Dustin's new dog." You respond, earning a glare from the young boy next to you.

"What?" Nancy turns back to Steve, practically ignoring your existence at this point.

You take another glance between her and Jonathan, searching past the quick gazes and lack of personal space. One view of Jonathan's hand twitching as Nancy brushes past him makes your eyes widen with realisation. You know exactly what happened.

Subconsciously, you shifted your eyes to Nancy who paused to look at you in confusion before returning to her argument with Steve. You just shook your head. You thought you knew Nancy better than that.

The argument continues and you decide to step away, walking towards the fence while trying to subdue the pain shooting through your shoulder. You glance at the lab just in time to see it light up.

"The power's back." Nancy announces, causing everyone to immediately run over to see if they can open the gates. Everyone except you.

When they have no such luck, Dustin profusely swears, unable to resist slamming his hand down on the button multiple times until something happened. And, to everyones surprise, it worked.

The gates slowly but surely began to open and Jonathan wasted no time in lunging towards his car.

You lowered yourself onto the grass, a strange sensation flooding your body.

"Okay, okay." Jonathan mutters, rushing to the driver's seat and starting the car in a quick manner.

To Steve's surprise, Nancy immediately followed suit, sliding into the passenger side before anyone could even blink.