Chapter 30

I dropped a wild rabbit onto Anastasia's lap.

"You must feed," I said. When the storm had slackened outside, I went out for a quick hunt near the wood.

Anastasia was sitting on the floor. She had properly dressed after I bandaged her wounds. It was a wonder how she could heal and recover so fast, but then again, she wasn't a normal vampire. Although there was still a glint of tiredness in her eyes, she was now in a better state than she had been a while ago.

It still terrified me how I came so close to losing her. And never in my life had I felt this tremendous flood of relief when I saw that face came alive again. The sorrow and grief dispersed like dark clouds breaking away from the sky. Now my beloved princess was glowing in her own immortal radiance again.

"How could you find a rabbit at a time like this?" Anastasia asked, sounding quite impressed with my hunting skills. I could feel my heart grow warm inside my chest when she gazed at me. At the same time, I was also embarrassed by the memory of my impetuous act towards her. I prayed that Anastasia wasn't aware of the thing I did.

"I was raised by wolves," I merely said. "I, at least, share some of their instincts."

She pursed her lips for a moment as if to decide whether or not to take my words seriously.

"Fair enough," she said at last. Then her attention drifted back to the fluffy white animal nestling by her feet. The light from the burning fireplace sent a warm golden glow.

It could have been my own imagination, but at that moment, I saw a shadow crossed her sculpted face as Anastasia scooped up the little creature into her arms. I had never seen a more delicate and innocent gesture than this. For a while, she was just patting the rabbit in silence.

"How could you ask me to kill such a lovely thing?" she said without looking away from the twitching animal.

"What is there for you to care?"

Anastasia looked up at me, and I just wanted to smack myself for having said that. Her face revealed no trace of anger. Instead, she pressed her lips in an amused smile.

"Don't you pity him?" she asked almost in a mischievous tone. I frowned back.

"I'm a hunter, not a saint," I said. "We kill to survive."

When she just sat there, I lost my patience and knelt down next to her. One of my hands drew out my hunting knife while the other reached over and grabbed the rabbit by the ears, but Anastasia swiftly grasped my wrist. Her touch was still cold on my skin, but it wasn't too frighteningly cold anymore.

"Valerina, no!" she said hurriedly and shook her head at me. At that moment, she looked like a little girl whose heart was so pure and innocent that she couldn't bear to witness such cruelty.

"You need blood, Anastasia," I told her sternly. "I can't provide you anymore. You need your strength back."

"I'm alright," she said stubbornly.

"Stop being so difficult about it, princess," I snapped, irritated by her unusual sentiment. "What is it with you and bunnies anyway?"

Anastasia's face suddenly marred with a nostalgic look, which startled me. And the way those beautiful golden eyes bore into mine made me forget how to breathe. They seemed to hold some untold story. Then she dropped her gaze from mine again.

With a soft sigh, she kept stroking the animal in her arms.

"Anastasia..." I began to speak.

"Can we just let the rabbit go?" she cut me off, looking back at me with pleading eyes. "Please?"