Chapter 19

~ALEXANDRA~

It was the first warm sun in the small hours of a new winter day in Kremlin. I walked towards one of the untended corners of Alexander's Garden, passing the grim-looking vampire guards posted in the shadow through the arched ways. They bowed as I went passed them. A number of royal guards trailed behind me.

The meeting with the Royal Council was a hellish affair, to say the least, and it resulted in me having a tongue-lashing at the parliament members of Biley Dom, most notably General Konstantin.

He cowered under my rage as I was informed by Victor of the previous meeting, and how unsatisfied he was when Anastasia had handled the issue.

The Russian Sleep experiment was still being carried out despite my sister's decree to shut it down. It was more than enough to snap their necks one at a time for their disrespect. Thinking about the vampire and his proposal of human soldiers made my blood boil. I could understand why Anastasia ordered the project to be terminated.

But there were other issues that required my careful consideration. Though the Council was loyal to my family, it was my father they devoted their service to. Regardless, I was only a symbol of him. They might have bitten back their tongues around me now, but I could still see the rising disappointment and distaste over my decision.

Of course, I used to be the mastermind of our revolution back in the day. I crafted each plan to reclaim my empire. And after much strife and bloodshed, I finally inherited this broken nation and a court filled with the intriguing legacy of a complacent Czar. Some of the nobles still thought of my father as a misguided ruler who trusted his own judgment way too much. Thus this led to the collapse of the Romanov Dynasty. I had promised myself that I would never repeat my father's mistake.

Yet now, my judgment seemed as though it had been overruled by the same weakness.

"Leave." I waved the guards away and they bowed and left. I took a deep breath and relaxed my stiff posture before entering the sweet-scented place.

The garden had a huge white-painted cabana built from marbles at the center. The flowing sheer cloths flicked against the winter wind. Broken sculptures of cupids and women looked haunting. The vine-covered birdbaths stood in the area with their water froze to ice.

The place was more like a cemetery than a garden.

I thought of the summer days when my mother would sit and read inside the cabana while my other sisters would chase butterflies around the flowery bushes. I would stay inside the cabana with her. Sometimes my mother would read from the book to me or tell a story of the Firebird.

Once or twice, a palace maid would come running with news of Anastasia's mischief. I didn't remember what my sister did, but she always got complaints from her governess. My mother would sigh and summon her to us. Then she and my mother would sit in each other's arms and I was forgotten. Whenever she caused troubles, my father only said Anastasia was simply too smart for her age.

I guessed a lot had changed after a hundred years. The garden was no longer brilliant and colorful, especially this time of year, and it would never be as well-trimmed by the human care. The place now seemed old and gray and tired of growing.

I saw the familiar figure sitting in the solitary on a couch inside the cabana. Avery's face was the only thing I longed to see, but now it showed nothing but worries and sadness. I knew exactly what had caused her gloomy mood.

Avery heard me approaching and turned around. I entered the cabana and held my arms out to her. She came and wrapped her small elegant frame into me.