Chapter 11

My eardrums almost burst from the sound of an explosion that echoed like a clap of thunders. A strong force hurled me against the wall along with various unidentified objects in the room.

I collapsed onto the floor again with a thud. The stage was suddenly engulfed in flames. The chaos erupted. A few patches of flames scattered around the theater. Pieces of broken furniture laid everywhere.

I painstakingly picked myself up off the floor as plumes of dark smoke thickened the hall. In the midst of havoc, I heard swift movements coming from the backroom.

At the same time, a troop of royal guards burst into the theater through the front entrance. They started shouting out orders and immediately surrounding the damaged room. Then all I heard was shooting.

That was when I saw a pack of hunters in black appeared out of the dark. They carried different weapons with them. Blades and arrows flashed through the shadow.

Suddenly I heard a familiar voice crying.

"Anastasia..."

"Lyra!" I called out to her. "Lyra, where are you?"

The shooting and screaming continued as the guards tried to counterattack the hunters. Other vampires, who had escaped the explosion, had fled the theater, yet some of them got shot with metal-tipped arrows that seemed to come out of nowhere and everywhere. The guards did their best to fight but they were out-skilled and poorly organized. The hunters came in twos or threes. More hunters broke through the stained glass windows while others dropped from the ceiling.

Obviously, they had been hiding and lurking in the dark. I saw them stabbing the royal guards in the chests with their flashy hunting knives. The rest shot the vampires from above and behind. Everything was carried out in perfect timing. One hunter would distract while the other would attack. The vampires didn't stand a chance.

"Anastasia," Lyra called from under a fallen chair. She was trapped between the chalk-white body, which I recognized as a very pale and very dead Yury.

I came to Lyra's rescue and tossed the dead vampire off of her before helping her up.

"Are you alright?" I asked. Lyra nodded back. I looked around, trying to spot someone. Is she still around here?

Then I turned back to the wincing Lyra again. Her leg seemed to be badly injured. I picked her up off the floor and rushed her to a dark corner out of sight.

"Stay here," I instructed as I laid her down against the wall. I started to get up but Lyra grabbed my hand.

"Anastasia, don't leave me!"

"I'll be right back, don't worry," I reassured her then quickly went back into the chaotic hall.

I coughed and waved the choking smoke away. Then I felt a hand grabbing my ankle and looked down, startled to find Estella in a pool of crimson blood at my feet.

"Ella!" I cried as I got down and pulled her into my arms.

"Anastasia," she croaked weakly then dark blood gushed out of her mouth.

"No! Please...please don't die!" I held her up to my chest.

She looked at me helplessly. Tears rolled down the corners of her eyes. Estella took a sharp intake of air and then she went limp in my arms. Her face turned completely white. Dark veins appeared through her ashen skin as life was drained out of her body.

I winced at the heart-wrenching sight as I gently laid Estella's cold body back down. I had no hope anymore that Claire was somehow alive. Then I caught sight of a red hood down at the far aisle.