Chapter 12

I woke up stiffly in the corner as the running truck came to a halt. The engine noise that had damned me throughout the restless night suddenly stopped.

I bit my lips to minimize the flaring pain and forced myself to sit up. Then the heavy metal doors screeched open dryly.

A burst of white light poked my hazy eyes. I winced and averted my face. My wounds had finally closed up, but the raw anguish still roamed my body like biting bugs.

My silk shirt was ruined by sticky blood and now clung to my flesh. My injuries would take a few more hours in order to heal back to normal, yet I doubted that the Hunters would let me live to see another day.

I heard them barking orders at each other for a few seconds before I realized what was happening outside.

Then I turned my head back and squinted my eyes against the brightness that bathed over my crumbled form. A handful of black figures was rounding up at the rear of the truck. They tugged their guns and crossbows against their shoulders, aiming at me.

The whole scene was almost comical as I believed such caution wasn't necessary. I had neither strength nor desire to fight these human hunters. All I wished now was that they would finish me sooner and stop all the fuss.

"Get her out of the truck," someone ordered in a voice of authority. I realized it was the same Alpha huntress.

In spite of her command, no one dared to get near the truck. I could sense their fear in the air.

"Alpha, that thing is savage. We should drug her first," one of them suggested.

I let out a humorless snort. They acted like they were actually dealing with a wild animal. Then I pushed myself up onto my wobbly feet. Each of my movement caused the Hunters to be alarmed. Their hands gripped the weapons tighter- ready to pull the triggers at any time.

"How long does it take for you to kill a bound and helpless vampire?" I asked sarcastically. "I find your lack of courage more intimidating."

"Shut up, bloodsucker!" another hunter yelled back. "We would have beheaded you long ago!"

"So what's stopping you now?" I said with a small chuckle then took a slow step forward. The sounds of raising barrels resonated in unison.

"Don't move!" another familiar voice cried out. In her scarlet hood, Valerina appeared. Her voice pierced through the cold air. It was a command that sounded more like a pleading warning to me. Her sea blue eyes were undoubtedly begging. I gave her a sadistic smirk and took another step forward. The hunters backed away from the truck.

"Is that what you've been training to do?" I said acridly and took another step. "To cower in fright when you face your enemy?"

"Alpha, I demand your order to shoot!" a male hunter spoke in an urgent voice. "She could harm our men!"

"No, hold your ground," Malena raised her hand up. "She's just scaring us. Prepare for the second capture but do not kill the captive. We still need her alive."

"Anastasia!" Lyra's voice came from behind the ring of hunters, but one of them grabbed her by the shoulders. She thrust and struggled against the hunter, but it was in vain.

"Don't try anything smart," the Alpha said, "or we will kill your human friend."

My jaw clenched as we both stared at each other with intense eyes.

"Then come and get me," I spoke in a steady voice, which stirred up everyone's anxiety even more.

The Alpha nodded to her comrades. They shared a nod before advancing towards the truck.