Chapter 40

The sound of planes crashing to the ground and bombs going off in the distance filled the city. Buildings, chapels, and monuments were blown up, crumbling into piles of bricks and cinders. There were war tanks and cars engulfed in flames.

We had moved to our underground headquarter. I stood observing the masked soldiers crawling through the streets of Kremlin. The enemy had advanced past the gates into the capital at last.

"Where are the other soldiers?" I asked one of my generals.

"They're all dead, Your Highness. The remaining troops are also wounded. The army we have left is now defending our headquarter and the main bases."

I realized that we were failing in the battle. They outnumbered us by the thousands. Those rotten undead-Nazi soldiers had finally infested our land.

"Your Highness!" one of the soldiers burst into the room. "The hunters have returned."

Relief flooded through me. I was glad to hear that Valerina was back, but when I saw the look on the man's face, my blood ran cold.

"What's happened?"

"You might have to hurry," he said with a deep bow, and I heard a tremor in his voice. "The situation doesn't look very good on both the Hunters and our soldiers."

I bit my lip and glanced at Trotsky, who seemed equally anxious. We wasted no time at all and went straight to the main base.

Once we arrived, I stepped out of the military car and walked in haste towards the bunker. They set up a hospital ward for the human soldiers underground.

The soldiers guarding the entrance immediately punched the button on the lift. The metal doors slid open, and Trotsky and I quickly entered.

Inside the faculty, I found Vale's older sister waiting there. She turned when she heard us approaching. Her composed face betrayed her with a deep anxiety. Her skin was pale. Blood and dirt covered her clothes. The other hunters stood behind her. They shared a similar state.

"Where's your sister?" Trotsky beat me to it.

"General," she said, her voice quivered with suppressed emotions. "Something went awry during our mission."

My vision turned black at those words. I clenched my jaw as my hands balled into fists.

"Tell me," I said. "Where is she?"

The Alpha looked at me almost in remorse then stepped aside.

The other hunters parted way. I saw a familiar figure lying on a bloodied bed. I felt as if my heart had been ripped from my chest, but my mind refused to accept it.

Arkady and two other surgeons and nurses were fusing around her.

Dazed and shocked, I began to step towards the fallen huntress.

Blood smeared her pale cheeks and hands. Her body laid limb without a hint of life. The physicians shook their heads and stepped away as I approached the bed.

"Valerina..." I choked and kneeled down beside her. "Vale..."

At the sound of my voice, the huntress stirred. I watched her arched brows furrowed in pain. Then her deep blue eyes finally opened. They didn't seem to focus on anything

"Anastasia," she whispered. "Where are you?"

My hands shook as I reached out to hold hers.

"Vale, I'm here," I said. "You're safe now."

"Anastasia," she croaked again then tried to look at me. "I didn't."

"Didn't what?" I whispered.